conditioning/aging ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clemson55

Reaction score
I have read where people say you can make a wheat and be drinking it in 4-5 weeks and my cream ale that tasted great in like 5 weeks, then I have also read where people age different beers for months and even years. The question is, is there a general rule of thumb for how long to age a beer? Like the more alcohol the longer you age, or the darker the style the longer you age, or a combination of the two, or some other factor. Or do you just age them however much you want and keep trying one every couple weeks until they taste good?

Almost across the board, Patience pays off.

Anything will be better at 3 maonths than at 1.

If there is a rule, it is that higher ABV beers need longer to really be in their prime.

clemson55 said:
I have read where people say you can make a wheat and be drinking it in 4-5 weeks and my cream ale that tasted great in like 5 weeks, then I have also read where people age different beers for months and even years. The question is, is there a general rule of thumb for how long to age a beer? Like the more alcohol the longer you age, or the darker the style the longer you age, or a combination of the two, or some other factor. Or do you just age them however much you want and keep trying one every couple weeks until they taste good?

As cheesydemon said, the bigger the beer the better they will be with aging. How long? You answered that yourself - crack one every few weeks until your happy with it. This is a very good learning exercise as you will be astounded how different the beer tastes over time.

Patience, the hardest brewing technique to master....

GT

Back