Has anyone use the Brewers Edge Kettle Screen in a mash tun?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rolly

Reaction score
I'm finishing my 3 gallon cooler mash tun for partial mash brewing. I'll be primarily doing batch sparging to begin with. Has anyone used the kettle screen as a filter? I'm buying the kettle valve/kettle screen combo from Austin Homebrew. (It's the same one that Williams Brewing sells.) I just don't know if it is better/worse/same as building my own bazooka from the hardware store. At $13 dollars price will be about the same as a home build.

From looking at the comments on the Williams Brewing website, it looks like it works fairly well.

Personally, I'm building my own from a stainless steel water heater braid.

So do you think it would get clogged with grain in a mash tun?

Should be ok. The grains are bigger than the pellet hop residue. I made one from a SS washing machine hose for my MLT. More or less just so that I said I could do it. That works fine. I wouldn't hesitate to use the Kettle Screen in my MLT.

I tried the SS braided washing machine/dishwasher hose and it sucked. Did hear good things and successes doing that though, but it collapsed when I tried. I'm going to try the kettle screen next, already purchased one. If that doesn't work, i'm going to false bottom. I've heard that a lot of those are synthetic that look like SS, so be careful when buying one to convert.

Can I just do a mini mash right in my kettle with a kettle valve ansdscreen. Transfer the wort out, get grains out of brew pot then put wort back in brew pot?

I hate to be a negative nelly. BUT I've upgraded to a 10 gallon cooler since a 5 gallon bucket wasn't enough... 3 gallons should be ok for smaller partial mashes, but even 5 gallons was light for me even at the low session beer level. if your at a 3 gallon batch it should be ok...

I'm finishing my 3 gallon cooler mash tun for partial mash brewing. I'll be primarily doing batch sparging to begin with. Has anyone used the kettle screen as a filter? I'm buying the kettle valve/kettle screen combo from Austin Homebrew. (It's the same one that Williams Brewing sells.) I just don't know if it is better/worse/same as building my own bazooka from the hardware store. At $13 dollars price will be about the same as a home build.

I built a second mashtun 3 weeks ago and tried using the bazooka kettle screen and found that it did not screen out many of the grain pieces nearly as well as my ss braid line from a water supply hose. The problem may have been that my barley crusher had been set to give me an effective crush for my ss braid but there were too many small pieces for my kettle screen to filter out so the volouf process took much longer.

Thus, if you are crushing your own grain you might want to widen the gap slightly if your crusher was set up well for a ss braid. If you are buying grains that are already crushed by your LHBS then the screen may work very well.

Latest posts

Back