My Dopplebock is sitting at 1.020.. is it finished?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

millstone

Reaction score
I brewed a dopplebock and its been in primary for 5 weeks holding at temperatures between 48*-50*. After mashing I took a preboil gravity reading that came in at 1.055 in 7 gallons of wort, and I ended up with a just under 5 gallons to the fermenter, leaving behind about two quarts in the brew pot – cold break junk. Before pitching the yeast (Wyeast 2206 Bavarian Lager, harvested about 200ml from a Oktoberfest cake and made a 2 liter starter) I took a starting gravity reading and it came in at 1.067, I really thought it would have come in higher because I thought I hit my perboil gravity. Also I did some searching and it was suggested that you mix up the wort before taking your gravity reading, this something I did not do, so maybe it would have been higher. Is there a formula to figure out your starting gravity based on the preboil gravity reading based on gallons collected? About a week ago I did rouse the yeast by shaking the crap out of the fermenter, the result was no further activity. So I took a reading last night and it was at 1.020, I was hoping for about 1.016. It tasted good, no popcorn flavors just a bit flat. Now to the question… should I just go ahead on Sunday as planed and transfer to secondary and lager at 34* or should I bring the wort up to the low 60’s to help lower the gravity?

Thanks

Tom

If you went from 1.067 to 1.020, I'd say its done. I've never done any lagers though, I'm just going by the attenuation %...

The only lager I've done actually dropped a few points after the 4th week of lagering, so while it may not be completely finished it's probably ok to keg/bottle it.

Back