Whirlpooling the HLT and BK in a HERMS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drkwoods

Reaction score
Im using a 3 sanke keggle single tier system with copper coil HX in the MLT. March pumps and all proflow QD's, silcone 1/2" hose and street elbows so that flow is maximized. propane fired MLT and BK

I need to reduce stratification in the MLT and Id like to remove trub in the BK. I want this to be effective. Where should the recirculation port be mounted Low Mid or High on the keggle and should it be pinched to increase the stream? What size tube is best in this situation? How should I go about this in each vessel? Your opinion is appreciated! :eek:

In other words should I mount the elbow low middle or high on the HLT? and same question for the BK? to achieve the best whirlpool effect.

Keep your HLT port high, it will keep temps more even. It doesn't need to be pinched really, just a gentle rotation will work fine.
In the BK the location is less important, mid or high will be fine, but a little pinched diameter at the return port is good to give the whirl more speed.

Good call on using the full-flow connects.. it makes a dramatic difference from using the pro-flow hose barbs. Tried them both. It will get you a very decent flow rate with the pump. I use the camlocks with female NPT connectors, and a 5/8" hose barb with 1/2" tubing.

FWIW I drilled my whirlpool inlets as high as possible, and then ran down the inside of the keg wall to a 90. I did this for two reasons 1) no valve needed since it's above the liquid level 2) I can easily adjust the exit height by shortening or lengthening the return pipe. Just a thought.

Latest posts

Back