fruit in the primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jef179

Reaction score
i've added about 3lbs of chopped pears to a saison style beer in the primary fermenter. i do NOT plan to use a secondary fermenter. should i keep them in there for the duration (2-3 weeks) or take them out? or perhaps i should just let the whole thing sit in the primary longer? also, is there a danger of excessive fermentation after bottling due to the increased sugar from fruit? any suggestions would help... thanks!

you should use a secondary for this. lots of floatys will be in your beer or just use a filter on your cane when you rack. but I would use a secondary..I would say leave them in due to the fact that you didnt puree them. did you add them during the boil. no danger with fermentation getting to excessive. although fruit does have alot of sugar. you did nothing to make them soluble. and fruit has fructose and sucrose, they are considerable less fermentable then dextrose. which you would use in priming

Latest posts

Back