First attempt at Partial Mash. Did I forget base malts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JaleHouseBrew

Reaction score
I was trying for a Bavarian Helles. I ordered the following ingredients, and I've been reading a little more into partial mashing and found out that I might need base malts to get the enzymes to convert the starches to sugars in the grains. I thought they all had enough enzymes in them to convert. What should I replace the Carapils with to get the enzymes I need? 2-Row?

Briess Dried Malt Extract- Pilsen 4 lb.
Carapils (Briess) 3 lb.
CaraHell® (Weyermann®) 1/2 lb.
Light Munich (Weyermann®) 1/2 lb.

German Perle Pellet Hops 1 oz.
German Tettnang Pellet Hops 1 oz.
White Labs German Lager Yeast WL830

American 2-row is cheap and good base malt for most brews from what I've seen.

I believe Carapils are for mouth feel and head not a base malt.

The good people at Midwest Supplies just swapped my 3lbs of Carapils for 3lbs of Weyermann Pilsner Malt when I called them. It still looks like my Diastatic power might be a little low (65 on average), but with the DME making up 50% of my gravity, I think I'll be ok.

I'm not 100% sure about Carahell as I've never used it, but Carapils does not need to be mashed it can be steeped just like Crystal malts when you're doing extract + specialty grains. The starches in most if not all Cara**** malts are already converted to sugars. Munich does need to be mashed but I believe it has enough enzymes that it can convert itself (like 2-row can). So I think you would have been OK with your original recipe, and you will be OK with your new recipe though the removal of the Carapils will change the body of the beer a bit.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong! :mug:

Back