Question about Yeast Harvesting, after re-pitch...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nukinfuts29

Reaction score
So I have a question I cannot find the answer too. I plan to harvest yeast from my primary's and freeze or fridge it for later use. I have read all about that, but I can't find the answer to something:

Can I harvest yeast that has previously seen more then one batch? For example I made 5 gallons of Apfelwein, then immediatly began a new batch ontop of that cake in the same primary. Can I harvest this yeast, or is it spent after this batch?

And if I can do this, how many times can I re-pitch before harvesting? IE can I make 3-4 batches of Apfelwein, then harvest and freeze?

In general, you're fine to re-use a batch of yeast that's been used previously, especially if you wash it and store it properly from the first batch. Since a typical 5 gallon batch ends up with a LOT of yeast cells, you can wash it and pull off several cultures from it for future use. Each of these can then be a new batch (although it's probably best that you use a starter for them, of course).

I say "in general" because there are exceptions, notably for "large" beers. High gravity brews stress the yeast more than lower ones, and as such, result in more mutations, which can eventually produce characteristics that aren't typical for the strain. This isn't to say that the yeast won't work, just that it will gradually shift from the profile it's known for. Due to this, I usually cultivate yeast I plan to harvest with a simple brew (a blonde that clocks in somewhere around 1.040 OG) in preparation for a massive one that I need the yeast for.

Your apfelwine example is actually exactly how I typically do batches of apfelwine back to back; however, after two or three batches, I discard the yeast and pitch a new pack. By then, I'm usually curious about how a new strain would impact the result itself anyway, so it works out well :mug:. However, as you see, I wouldn't harvest the yeast after using it for several batches; since apfelwine is rather strong, it can cause problems with the strain. You'd be harvesting "tired" yeast by that point. Instead, you might want to harvest it after the first batch (or again, off of a smaller one), then split it and use a starter for the resulting smaller cultures.

Perfect! Should I even bother attempting to harvest from my cider when it is done? Seems like 4 gallons of apple cider and 2# of dark brown sugar might be harder on the yeast than apfelwein.

Most of what I make is Wine & Cider.

If it's first-generation, it should still be usable, I just wouldn't go for several batches on it. That said, it might depend on the strain you're using. I've never made cider, but wine and champagne yeasts have higher alcohol tolerances than your typical ale yeast. This might allow for it to have fewer complications upon repeated usage; since my experience is largely with ale strains, I don't know that I can speak with authority on the higher-ABV types. Most advice should still hold true (and as I said, that's what I follow for apfelwein), but perhaps someone more knowledgeable can chime in and point out whether these fancy types are more resilient than I'm used to :).

I use Nottingham for everything right now.

I think for the $1.50 cost for a pack of Nottingham or $.99 if you happen to use any of the wine yeasts, it might not be worth your time to wash and save it. If you are saving yeast from the any of the liquid ale strains then by all means go for it.
Just a thought.

I have 5 gal of apfelwein on S04 (from a washing) right now but I wasn't planning on washing it again even though I wash most of my beer cakes. But I might rethink that.

well where i live, all sorta alcoholic beverage are forbidden so, no brew shop or special yeasts, harvesting yeast and reuse them is quiet useful for people like me.

as far as i see seems everyone reuse beer yeast, how about wine yeast
beer has very low alcohol content so yeast stay alive.

i know @ certain % of alcohol yeast dies in wines or washes

my question is with wine is that sediment still reusable or this method only work with beer yeasts?

Nor sure about answer to your question but in future you will likely get more responses if you start your own thread rather than resurrecting one that is three years old.

Latest posts

Back