Mash time for 1 gallon batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LumberjackJohn

Reaction score
This may be a dumb question, but I still have to mash my grains for 1 hour even if I am only using 1.75lbs right?? I figure that the grain still has to go through the same process, regardless of the amount but I want to make sure before I ruin something! Here's the simple recipe I'm doing just for fun.

1.75lb Maris Otter
1oz Fuggle 4.8% for 7 minutes
Nottingham Yeast

Est. OG:1.050
Est FG: 1.012
Est. Color: 4.7 SRM
Est. IBU: 25.8

It seems to not quite be a Special Bitter, but also not quite a Extra Special Bitter. It isn't even an Ordinary Bitter. Maybe I will call it "John's Unique Bitter." Lol

Thanks for the helps!

Yes, you still have to mash for 45 minutes to an hour! It takes a while for the enzymes to convert the starches to sugars.

I just have a question about the hopping- only 7 minutes for the bittering addition? How come?

I have made 4 x 1 1/2 gallon batches as testers and did it for an hour, still need the time to convert the starch.

The only thing I noticed in mine is that beersmith calculations get a little off when it comes to hops and the amounts being a small batch.

And my last piece of advice is to watch boil off with such small batches, my first one was suppose to be 1 1/2 gallons but ended up being just a gallon after the extra boil off happend.

Hope this helps...

Simple answer, yes. It doesn't take less time for less grains.

You can test for conversion (some people do) but it's not 100% necessary. You might find by testing that your grain is coverted in under 1 hour.

One hour is a default time that pretty much guarantees that conversion has happened. It's also a great time to get other brewing tasks out of the way or grab a bite to eat.

Thanks guys! I figured as much but I wanted to make sure before I screwed up. And the seven minute hop boil is just for kicks, to see what happens. Beersmith says the IBU should be around 25, JDL how bad was your IBU difference? Way too bitter/too malty, or just a little? I'm not too worried with this batch. This is mostly a "John has been depressed and needs to brew something to cheer him up" fun batch!

I thought that even though the iodine says there is conversion not all the fermetables may be converted... dextrin's not fully converted to fermentables or some such thing? I'll have to look up what I'm trying to say.

Thanks guys! I figured as much but I wanted to make sure before I screwed up. And the seven minute hop boil is just for kicks, to see what happens. Beersmith says the IBU should be around 25, JDL how bad was your IBU difference? Way too bitter/too malty, or just a little? I'm not too worried with this batch. This is mostly a "John has been depressed and needs to brew something to cheer him up" fun batch!

When I put it in Beersmith, with that AAU% of hops at 7 minutes, I get 20 IBUs. I use the Tinseth scale, though. I usually only get 70% efficiency for my batches, but I've never done a small batch like that. In order to get 1.050, you'll have to get 75% efficiency.

I think the beer won't be quite bitter enough, but that's just my opinion.

Thanks Yooper! Maybe I'll just boil them for 10 minutes them. I'm really trying to make this as fun, simple, and carefree as possible. As long as the beer is drinkable at the end, I will be happy!

No specialty grains and low IBUs, how about John's Very Ordinary Bitter?:D

Definitely in the range for a nice Mild.

Haha David, good call. Or John's Plain Jane Bitter! Hmm, this sets me on a quest to find synonyms of "average" and "ordinary!"

Back