I ain't no carpenter Fermentation Cabinet build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samc

Reaction score
I built this even though I almost flunked wood shop in high school. Don't really have a great set of wood tools, just was determined to build a leak free controllable ferementing cabinet. So if I could do it just about anyone else can. Approx $200 complete.

Air conditioner from Target $70 (sale price less $5 coupon)
2x4's $15
OSB Home Despot $20
Screws, hinges $20
Foam Board $30
Foil Tape $5
Door - was here when I bought the house, door knob was an old used one I had as well.
Old paint for first coat and will paint a nicer second coat with old paint
Honeywell controller off Ebay $30 + $10 wire/outlet, switch, etc. (had all this stuff from prior set up.)
Back pains - priceless!

fermentation
[/URL]

[/IMG]

How are you going to remove the AC heat exhaust from your garage? You don't plan on just leaving the garage door open do you?

Don't have many days of extreme high temps in Portland during a year so it should not be much of an issue. Also the AC should not have to run very much. If it gets to be a problem I could always cut a small window in the back door. I had this AC do a test fermentation run recently with just the foam board taped together and the ambient garage temps were in the mid 70's. The a/c rarely ran and maintained mid 60's inside the foam which was not well sealed.

When I lived in FL I would not have attempted it this way as the garage was hotter than, well you know since you are in FL.

I am about to go down this route soon and in Portland too. I've got this crazy idea for a two level cabinet for lager and ales

I am about to go down this route soon and in Portland too. I've got this crazy idea for a two level cabinet for lager and ales

I am designing a keezer with two separate ferm chambers, one for ales and one for lagers. each chamber will ultimately hold a 7gallon conical with windows and backlighting. I will post drawings when i get them done.

I showed it to SWMBO and she cringed - thats how I knew I was on the right track :cross:

Back