Hop selection for an IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nadnerb98

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi -
My friend and I are brewing IPA from a partial mash kit- the kit calls for:
2 oz Magnum- 60 min
2 oz EK Goldings- 5 min
2 oz EK goldings- 1 min

We are planning on dry hopping his batch with EK Goldings as well.

I am looking to do the same kit but would like to change up the hops so we can see what differences in flavor it will have.

I have (all pellet):
4 oz Northern Brewer
1 oz Willammete
12 oz centennial
2 oz magnum
2 oz E K Goldings

Can anyone suggest how to use some of these hops to make a nice IPA? I would like to dry hop as well.

Thanks,
Brendan

Personally I'd use Magnum for bittering and Centennial for flavor/aroma additions.

Depending on your recipe and aa% of the hops I'd probably use roughly 1oz magnum at 60 minutes, 1oz centennial at 15 min, 1oz centennial 5 min, and 1oz centennial at flameout.

That's just me though :)

+1 mangnum- centenial in this order. check out a hops chart types. for flavor bittering and aroma. Its pretty helpful also for future brews.
maybe finish with northern then dryhop w/centennial or mix these

Thanks everyone- since I have a lot of centennial I went for the all centennial route. Used Beer Smith to calculate how much to add in order to get the same IBU as my friend's brew with EK goldings.

Both are fermenting now- looking forward to tasting the difference!

I tend to like the 3 Cs brews (cascade, centennial, chinook/columbus). Those really make for a good IPA

Thats a good call, I didnt recognize how much centennial you had.Also useing it soley will get you familar with the way each hops taste/ smells. Ive been using single hops for most of my pale ales,ipa's.
I made a accidental "light" pale ale with all centennial. I checked one too early in the bottle but amazingly it was carbed and smelled and tasted pretty friggin good. My summit hop ipa was also a good one.

IPAs can be English or American - you didn't state which -

so - next time, if you want to try English, you can use the EKGoldings, the Willamette, & Northern Brewer

Back