Bottle Harvested Yeast from Hazed & Infused

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hethen57

Reaction score
I wanted to see if I could make a yeast starter out of the sediment from a few bottles of Boulder's Hazed and Infused...and it worked! I now have a quart of mini brew which is took off with krausen and everything...I chilled it in to fridge to see what I had and there is a nice 1/4 inch layer of white yeast on the bottom.

Does anyone know what type of yeast this is or whether it would be worth trying in a brew (I do want to brew a H&I clone next)? I now have almost as much yeast as a white labs starter, but don't want to waste $30 worth of ingredients to save $8 on a yeast vial if it is likely to ruin my beer...it was kind of cool just to see if it would work....
-Mike

I don't know if the bottle yeast for that brand is the same as the brewery yeast. You could make a 2 qt. or gallon batch with dme and some hops and see if it tastes good.

I figured it would be the same yeast that they brewed it with since the bottle says it is hazed they bottle it unfltered, which I though would mean the yeast were still in there. I guess I will have to test it and find out. I will post my results...thanks for the idea about a test batch.

I've grown yeast from bottles, never Hazed. Congrads. I would think it is the brewing yeast, even if repitched for bottles (which is unlikely).

Back