Pectic enzyme use question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LightningInABottle

Reaction score
I bought some Mott's at the grocery store on sale. 6 gallons for $20. I decided to do the most simple cider I could do so I just pitched some US-05 and put an airlock on it.

Now it has fermented out to 1.000 and is steady. I racked it into a secondary and gave it a few weeks. It tastes great now. Similar to strongbow, dry and tart. Before I wasn't concerned about how it looked because it was an experimental batch, but now I really like this batch and want it to clear out. I didn't use any pectic enzyme when I pitched, is it too late to add some and have it clear?

My plan was to use my theif and take out a cup or two of cider, mix the pectic enzyme in that and add it back into the carboy. Then give the top part a stir to mix it in. Will this work or should I just go ahead and carb at this point?

if you didn't heat the juice, pectin may not be your problem.

You may want to look at other products, such as sparkolloid...

but, it should also clear naturally. It usually takes at least 6 weeks for mine to clear.

Pectic enzyme supposedly doesn't work if it wasn't there before the yeast was pitched. I think it works with the solids in the juice before there is alcohol. Adding after there is alcohol seems to mess it up. At least that is what I have been told.

Update: I tried sparkolloid and let it sit for 2 weeks. Nothing happened to the clarity but there was about an inch of sediment a week after putting it in.

So then I dumped some pectic enzymes in and immediately it reacted (it "flashed".) One day later is is much clearer and I can shine a light through it. Before you could not see a flashlight through the bottle. Now you see the beam and can see the bulb.

I ended up using about twice as much pectic enzyme as the package called for.

Back