Bottling question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atromic

Reaction score
Due to work being extremely busy, and a touch of pure laziness I have a graf that has been sitting in primary for close to 3 months. I'm bottling it today, and I was wondering if there are any tricks I can use to help it carbonate faster.

I'm throwing a party in 3 weeks, and this batch will be consumed whether its 100% ready or not... The last time I made a graf it took about 4 weeks to get reasonably carbonated. I'm assuming since I've let it sit for so long this time that there will be significantly less yeast suspended in solution.

So what are my options? Can I stir it up a little bit when racking into my bucket to get some yeast swimming around? I'll be giving the bottles a daily shake to re suspend the yeast as well. thanks!

Stay with me here: go through and shake each bottle for around 5 seconds, then put each case into a fridge. Sounds insane, but it stirs up the yeast, mixes the CO2 that's already been produced, and putting them in the fridge causes the sediment to fall out faster.

Stay with me here: go through and shake each bottle for around 5 seconds, then put each case into a fridge. Sounds insane, but it stirs up the yeast, mixes the CO2 that's already been produced, and putting them in the fridge causes the sediment to fall out faster.

i think it's been in the primary not the bottle.

Yeah, still in primary waiting to be bottled this afternoon. Cold crashing the bottles after shaking them up sounds like a good move, but I won't have the space to chill 2 cases.

You probably have plenty of yeast, but you can run your cane lightly across the bottom to get a LITTLE of the yeast back into suspension, which might help with carbonation. It will of course increase the sediment in the bottle. Your choice, but I think that after letting it clear for 3 months, I'd like to get as little sediment in the bottle (anyone going to drink from the bottle?).

Store above 70 F. I've heard (never tried) that inverting each bottle every day can help with carbonation because it gets any yeast that may have dropped back into suspension.

your racking cane will inevitably suck up some yeast so i would bottle like normal.

Back