Good Extract Recipes with WLP530 Abbey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ACo

Reaction score
Hi all -- up to this point, i've made several batches of beer mostly using Safale US-05, WLP001, and made a nice german wheat with WLP300.

I went to my LHBS looking to make another german wheat but the dude had no yeast for it. So I thought I would try something new...a la WLP530 Abbey Ale yeast.

I have come up with a little recipe of my own right now, but i need some input on what to do. I have no idea what this would even make and/or taste like....

5 Gal batch (4.08 boil)
6# Wheat DME
1# light brown sugar at 15
1 oz goldings (4%AA) (.5 at 60, .5 at 30)

any good spices one would recommend? Is wheat extract good to use with this?

I plugged it into beer smith and it comes out at 1.062ish to 1.012ish cant remember off the top of my head...

That's yeast is for higher gravity Belgians. I'd add 4 lbs. of light DME, up the first hop addition to 1 oz. if you're keeping it simple.

But you really ought to steep a grain tea (1.5 gal) out of something like 8 oz. of flaked barley (or oats) and 3-4 oz. of Belgian malt (maybe a couple oz. of Crystal 10L, too). That should give it a little creaminess.

I've never tried brown sugar and wonder what you think it will do to your flavor?

You could make a super easy Belgian Tripel:

10.5lbs Pilsner LME
2.5lbs Sugar (cane or corn)

Saaz 3.7% 2.5oz at 60min
Saaz 3.7% 0.5oz at 10min

You could also do a nice Belgian Dubbel too.

interesting ideas....what about this... a little a'chouffe houblon-ish clone thingy

TYPE: Extract
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 4.08 gal
Estimated OG: 1.092 SG
Estimated Color: 9.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 57.9 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: - %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.00 lb Wheat Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 52.17 %
3.50 lb Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 30.43 %
2.00 lb Candi Sugar, Clear (0.5 SRM) Sugar 17.39 %

2.00 oz Zeus [14.00 %] (60 min) Hops 46.9 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (30 min) Hops 11.0 IBU
1.00 oz Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] (0 min) Hops -

1 Pkgs Abbey Ale (White Labs #WLP530) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: None
Total Grain Weight: 10.00 lb

I would prolly need to make a serious starter for this.....

prolly need some specialty grains, just not sure what....maybe 1# of mixed 10L crystal, flaked oats?

My suggestion:

6lbs. Briess Pilsen Light DME
1/2lb. each Pilsner, cara-munich, special B, and aromatic
1lb. unrefined sugar, or candi if you can't find any jaggery or pilonchillo
1oz. at 60 and 30 of Stryian, EKG, or other Euro. hop around 6%AA
WLP530
Ferment around 68-70 for three weeks(if it gets warmer after the first five days RDWHAHB), bottle and wait for as long as you can stand it and enjoy a delicious abbey style dubbel.

have you ever had a'chouffe houblon though? its an IPA Trippel....its crazy good....I think the IBU's are on the money, IMO. It may be a difficult style to replicate, but between the IBU's and the alcohol content, I think it should work....it comes out to about 9% which is what achouffe houblon is.....on Beersmith, i have the calculations almost exact to what houblon specifies.

from the ratebeer website:
"A unique marriage between the English tradition of IPAs, the new American revolution of Imperial IPAs and the classic Belgian way of brewing. Houblon Chouffe, although very much hopped as it is, showcases the unique balance between a very strong IPA and a very special Belgian Tripel exclusively created for this ale (Big malty body, distinct dryness, expressive estery fruitiness). - IBU: 59, Original Gravity: 1092 "

The only thing i may be lacking is the fruityness, maybe should have gone with WLP500, but already have the starter going....

Latest posts

Back