What to do with 5 gallons of Mead.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom_gamer

Reaction score
So I got 5 gallons of mead going right now and I'm planning on separating it into 5 single gallon jugs.
Jug 1 - I will had raspberries (not sure how many for a gallon in secondary)

Jug 2 - I will make sure some of the yeast goes in here to make a sparkling mead ( never had success making mead sparkle, hint why I will make sure there is more yeast in this one.)

Jug 3 - letting this one become clear and just going to bottle.

Jug 4 - this one I will hide in the closet for long aging.

Jug 5 - just like jug 3 except I will back sweeten with honey.

My meads come out "hot" because I'm in Texas and haven't had a fermentation chamber until recently, but this time isn't any different, it broke the first night.

I used the sweet mead yeast from white labs, 15 lbs of cranberry honey, bag of raisins, 5 oranges some yeast nutrient. Fermenting now for a week at 78-81 degrees Fahrenheit. The yeast is suppose to have 70-75, but its going strong. My hydrometer broke so no OG

Any comments are welcome.

Two Beer or not Two Beer

The answer to the question in your subject line is, "DRINK IT" :mug:

Also, cranberry honey sounds amazing. Does it taste like cranberries?

Lastly, I'm wondering if you couldn't add sugar at bottling (like with beer) to make that mead sparkle.

Tw0fish said:
The answer to the question in your subject line is, "DRINK IT" :mug:

Also, cranberry honey sounds amazing. Does it taste like cranberries?

Lastly, I'm wondering if you couldn't add sugar at bottling (like with beer) to make that mead sparkle.

No the cranberry honey does not...it does taste good though.

I added a tsp last time and it didn't work, I think what happened was that no yeast made it into the bottles. I will try this time by stirring up some yeast. Let's hope no bottle bombs lol

Two Beer or not Two Beer

Back