Creating a Juniper Rye Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steinsato

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been working on a Juniper Rye Pale Ale this week and think I have my ingredients nailed down for my first attempt. Let me know what you guys think and if there are any things that definitely need to be changed before brew day. Thanks in advance.

9 lbs 2-row malt
2 lbs rye malt
1 lb Vienna malt
.5 lb Crystal 60 L
4 oz Flaked Barley (for head retention)
.75 oz Magnum 10.1% aa for 60 min
1 oz Cascade 6.1% aa for 15 min
1 tsp Irish Moss for 15 min
1 oz crushed, dried Juniper berries for 15 min
1 oz Cascade 6.1% aa at flameout

figured I'd use either US-05, S-04, or Wyeast Irish Ale 1084 but haven't decided yet.

Beertools Pro is giving me a OG of 1.061 which is a tad bit high for an APA style but my efficiency has been between 66% and 75% lately so I figure going a bit high can't hurt.

FWIW I made an IPA with about 13% rye and the rye is really noticeable. It's good, but personally, I would like the rye to be less pronounced. You're at ~15% rye so I would say to knock it back some unless you really like rye.

Of course, this was my first experience brewing with rye, so I would also get some second opinions if I were you. :D

Edit: FWIW here's a link to the rye IPA recipe - https://www.homebrewtalk.com/blogs/jlem/644-62-minute-ryepa-wise-guys-brew.html

I originally had the rye set at 1.5 lbs but all the reading I did seemed to say keep the rye between 15%-20%. I've never brewed with rye and honestly haven't had many rye beers at all so I'm not real sure how I'll like it. Thanks for the suggestion though, I will certainly consider knocking it back down a bit.

Back