Confused by harvesting yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bagpiperjosh

Reaction score
I plan to start harvesting my yeast out of my primaries soon, and this whole process of knowing how much you have and how much you need for your next batch confuses the crap out of me. Alot of programs tell you to use so many billion cells? Do the original yeast vials say that on them? My lhbs says they dont. (i have not used liquid yeast yet). So how would i know how many cells i have originally and how would i know how many cells i have after harvesting it?

http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/homebrew_information.html

White Labs info, I would assume you can find similar info on Wyeast. To answer your question about how to tell cell count...you basically make an educated guess. I would recommend reading the Yeast book by chris white and jamil zainasheff if you really want to get into it. A lot of in depth yeast culturing info that I just don't remember off the top of my head. I keep meaning to get into harvesting, but just haven't had the time.

Latest posts

Back