50a hlt/boil controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lschiavo

This space for rent.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I helped out a forum member with this build. I am not so good at documenting this stuff but here is what I have. We tried to be frugal and still use decent components.

The circuit borrowing PJ's GFCI shunt circuit and Walkers PWM:
50A_BOIL-HLT.JPG

Walkers PWM:
PWM11.jpg

Parts List - http://www.mediafire.com/?9ceb9jjbd55ocyq - Not entirely complete. I can update it if there are any items not on there that anyone is interested in. I really like the fuseholders but could not find the 10x38mm fuses at a reasonable price so I used a different fuse block.
Element:
2011-10-31_09-31-03_652.jpg

Guts:
2011-10-31_09-29-18_378.jpg

Panel:
2011-10-28_18-28-33_640.jpg

2011-10-31_09-30-09_891.jpg

2011-10-31_09-30-29_879.jpg

nice build! I like the fusing down the elements to reduce cord size... I may have to borrow some of your ideas. :mug:

What size cord grip did you use for that range cord?
Is it from McMaster?

Nice panel – can’t wait to see it hanging on my wall! Thanks Lschiavo for helping me out with this one. You have a great mind for this stuff and your work and ideas really added to the functionality of the panel . It’s going to be tough to decide what to brew with it first!

Nice panel – can’t wait to see it hanging on my wall! Thanks Lschiavo for helping me out with this one. You have a great mind for this stuff and your work and ideas really added to the functionality of the panel . It’s going to be tough to decide what to brew with it first!

Thank you, glad I could help. I hope it makes your brewing a little easier and safer. You should start a thread on your build or keep us posted here.

lschiavo, I just placed a $100 order with ElecDirect yesterday for switches, a lamp, terminal blocks, and a few other random things for my build after reading thru your parts list.
Thanks for sharing that site - the switches and rubber boots a bit cheaper than elsewhere.

lschiavo, I just placed a $100 order with ElecDirect yesterday for switches, a lamp, terminal blocks, and a few other random things for my build after reading thru your parts list.
Thanks for sharing that site - the switches and rubber boots a bit cheaper than elsewhere.

I do like that site. They have a good selection of decent stuff and pretty good prices. Free shipping over $100 helps too.

I like the looks of the control panel! That's really cool. I don't understand all of it, though!

I see you have 20amp toggles for your elements but 30amp fuzes... I'm no ee so I don't know much but that doesn't seem quite right to me. If my math is accurate, a 5500w element will pull almost 23 amps at 100%...

flanneltrees804 said:
I see you have 20amp toggles for your elements but 30amp fuzes... I'm no ee so I don't know much but that doesn't seem quite right to me. If my math is accurate, a 5500w element will pull almost 23 amps at 100%...

In the diagram, you can see all the toggles are placed after a 15A fuse. The only element switching is done by the 40A SSR.

We'll I've made a little progress on my brewery build using the panel lschiavo helped me with. I finally had a chance to fire up the elements and I'm happy to report it's working flawlessly. It's really nice to be able to fire both elements at the same time. I still have to put an order in for some disconnects, tubing and a March pump, but things are coming together nicely. Here are some photos of the progress so far - https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=771c77abe31dc509&Bsrc=Photomail&Bpub=SDX.Photos&id=771C77ABE31DC509%21129&sff=1

We'll I've made a little progress on my brewery build using the panel lschiavo helped me with. I finally had a chance to fire up the elements and I'm happy to report it's working flawlessly. It's really nice to be able to fire both elements at the same time. I still have to put an order in for some disconnects, tubing and a March pump, but things are coming together nicely. Here are some photos of the progress so far - https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=771c77abe31dc509&Bsrc=Photomail&Bpub=SDX.Photos&id=771C77ABE31DC509%21129&sff=1

that link asks for a password and login. try imgur

Sorry about that. Thanks for the tip runningweird. I'll try this again.
Here's the panel
qM91I.jpg

Ventilation
eSPxK.jpg

oynBv.jpg

eE76j.jpg

HLT Stirrer
jOv7O.jpg

5m250.jpg

Immersion chiller
w7iVM.jpg

Water line
zrNhO.jpg

Boil in action
ROEx4.jpg

Whole system
ddfoN.jpg

I've got a pretty straight forward American Amber recipe I'll probably start with. I figure it's going to take a few sessions to get everything dialed in. The PID was holding the HLT temps within 1 degree so it seems to be pretty spot on. I fired it up and ran the auto tune.

sredz said:
I've got a pretty straight forward American Amber recipe I'll probably start with. I figure it's going to take a few sessions to get everything dialed in. The PID was holding the HLT temps within 1 degree so it seems to be pretty spot on. I fired it up and ran the auto tune.

I am drinking my amber right now...good choice! I have a feeling you will be pretty well dialed-in after one session. The PID is your friend. Keep me posted.

After 5 months of piecing my system together it’s finally ready for an inaugural brew! I just finished installing the March pump as well as the disconnects and final plumbing. Here are the completed pics:

nl3O3.jpg

7zG66.jpg

7DW0K.jpg

ou0ib.jpg

sredz said:
After 5 months of piecing my system together it’s finally ready for an inaugural brew! I just finished installing the March pump as well as the disconnects and final plumbing. Here are the completed pics:

Looks great! Hope the first brew goes well.

Thanks Guys, took it on a trial run today with just H2O to test the pump. All is working well. Plan to brew next weekend. :mug:

Back