Wyeast 3068 hefeweizen and sulfur smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gio

Reaction score
I brewed a hefeweizen yesterday and everything seemed to be going well, but today, almost exactly 24 hours after I pitched the yeast the fermenter has been giving off a horrible sulfur smell. Here are the details:

The yeast is Wyeast 3068 and the beer is a hefeweizen. I pitched at 72 degrees and dropped the temperature to 66 degrees. It climbed back up to about 68 degrees and has been at about 68 all day according to my lcd stick-on thermometer. Fermentation has been vigourous and started within 10 hours of pitching the yeast. I'm using a blowoff tube and a flask of sanitzer. I very quickly opened the fermenter to take a quick picture (see below). I've actually never done that before so I'm even sure what it is supposed to look like. Is it infected? If not, what should I do to clear up the smell (leave it extra long in the primary before transferring to the secondary perhaps? Or maybe let it rest in the secondary at a low temperature?)

DSC00196.jpg

DSC00197.jpg

Well first that is definitely what it should look like if fermenting naturally. So I wouldn't worry about the appearance.

I've never actually used this yeast before, but it might just give off a sulfur odor during fermentation. I'll let someone who's used this yeast before weigh in more on that, although how much pilsner malt/extract where you using verses how much wheat malt?

That's a good clean Krausen you're looking at. Hope you didn't sneeze in there and spoil it.
Sulfur smell is typical of many hefe / wit / white beer strains, see below for the wyeast desription of your brewing buddies:

The classic and most popular German wheat beer strain used worldwide. This yeast strain produces a beautiful and delicate balance of banana esters and clove phenolics. The balance can be manipulated towards ester production through increasing the fermentation temperature, increasing the wort density, and decreasing the pitch rate. Over pitching can result in a near complete loss of banana character. Decreasing the ester level will allow a higher clove character to be perceived. Sulfur is commonly produced, but will dissipate with conditioning. This strain is very powdery and will remain in suspension for an extended amount of time following attenuation. This is true top cropping yeast and requires fermenter headspace of 33%.

Thanks, I was just reading that Wyeast page on 3068. I don't know how I missed that line about sulfur. Thanks for pointing it out.

I used 2lbs pilsner, 2.75lbs light wheat, 0.5lbs dark wheat, 3lbs wheat DME (which is half and half, I believe).

I had a similar experience recently with the 3068. I made a batch of Hefeweizen and Weizenbock using the same yeast (2nd Gen) with starters. They both fermented like crazy at 68 deg. and had a strong sulfur smell. It dissipated some in the secondary and will disappear with conditioning.

I was worried about this same exact thing until I read this post. I just brewed an AG Hefe using this strand. I was nervous about the strong sulfur smell.

I pitched a liter starter and the thing took off like mad. I had to use a blow off tube. Will this be okay if I just do an extended primary? Revvy, I'm looking for some advice on this one. Will the yeast clear up the smell?

I've done a few brews with this yeast. You'll be fine, let this sit for 3 weeks in primary (get rid of this secondary idea unless you're lagering or dry hopping). THe sulfer smell will go away and I can assure you that you won't taste it in your beer as long as you let the beer stay on the yeast and let them clean up after themselves. 3 weeks in primary, then package.

That was my plan, Kammee. I've been reading up on the primary only threads and they all make so much sense. I've usually put my beers into secondary, but I just don't see a point for this one. I was just worried about the yeast cleaning up the sulfur. I'm going to be doing extended primaries only from no on, unless they're bigger beers. Thanks for the info.

When I brew my hefes I let the primary fermentation go for a couple weeks, keg and carb it for 3 weeks, never any sulfur smell at the time I tap the keg.

I'm in day 2 of fermentation using this yeast. Yesterday my housemate had a quiet word to me about hygiene concerns he had about our other housemate, complaining that the hallways smelled of rotten eggs. We were just about to stage some kind of intervention when I went into my room and discovered that the smell was emanating from my cupboard. I had selflessly offered to give guests my room that night and to sleep on the couch. They probably would have preferred the couch given the horrid smell in my room.
All of my previous brews (including a weizen, but previously from a kit using dry yeast) had wonderful malty smells- this concerned me until I came onto the forum. I love weizen but this experience has certainly made me determined to complete my fermentation chamber project so that I can get the beer out of my room.

This thread just saved my White Wheat! I used White Labs Whit yeast. I have that same sulfer ( fart taste) at transfer to the secondary. If Im not mistaken it sounds like a three or four week conditiong will let the sulfer wain off?

I normally brew stouts and porters but, this once I decided to do something lighter.... and all grain. Smart right? Branch out on style and methods at the same time.

I have also recently used this yeast 3068. I ran into a special problem though. Turns out i have brewed too much beer and I needed to free up some room in my chest freezer fermentor for a fresh brew. I had two beers that were 7 days into the primary fermentation, an american amber and a hef.

I kegged the hef because I've read numerous times it's meant to be drank young but I know 7 days is too young. The fg was at 1012, exactly where my recipe calculator called for, it was fermented at 68f. It still has a sulphur smell but also a sharp bitter taste. Will this clear up in the keg if I let it go to room temp or should I stuff it back in the chest freezer ( I might be able to lay it sideways on top of my buckets).

I also added a container of cascade candi blood orange syrup to the keg. It's sugar and natural flavoring, I know this will lead to another fermentation but I'm more concerned with the sulphur smell and how to get it out of the keg. Should I purge the co2/smell or get it back into a bucket asap.

Never mind, I put the hef into a carboy this morning. It made a huge mess with the Krausen shooting everywhere. Airlock is going crazy but it's at room temp, well See.

Back