Goodman Heating and Air conditioning components.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GilaMinumBeer

Half-fast Prattlarian
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Is anyone here familiar with this manuafacturer?

I just got a quote on equipment to replace my Central HVAC system. Every year, I have had to have the freon topped off on the A/C. Last year, I had the lineset replaced after spending a couple hours "sniffing" the system for a leak. The lineset originally ran underslab.

I was just quoted $2200 for equipment only on a 13 SEER / 80% AFUE set-up or $2600 for a 14 SEER / 93% set-up. I think this guy is passing his cost on to me and just charging for labor (of which that quote I will get this evening).

The units have 10 year warranties with some limitations.

I have a Janitrol/Goodman furnace (original equipment when I bought my 6-year-old house). I would not buy another one today. Mine is like an old VW -- it breaks a lot but is easy to fix with a screwdriver. I'm tired of the hassle of knowing almost every winter I'm going to crank it up and it's not going to work, then I'm going to have to troubleshoot and go buy some parts and fiddle with it.

It's paired with an Trane/American Standard central AC unit that has never given me trouble.

Goodmans are made by amana. My mom just had a goodman furnace a/c combo put in both run great. only difference is the badge the put on the unit.

Interesting. Didn't know that they were affiliated with Amana.

Mine was made in 1996. I looked it up, and Goodman bought Amana in 1997.

Presumably, Janitrol owns/owned Goodman or vice versa.

It's paired with an Trane/American Standard central AC unit that has never given me trouble.

How ironic, that is exactly what I am replacing. Damned thing has needed service every year for the past 5. Turns out the furnace and coil are original to the house but, the condenser was built in 1999.

I did some reasearch and it seems that a high percentage of the problems with the Goodman product ties back directly to the installer doing a poor job.

FWIW, yeah it's Janitrol/Amana/Goodman/GmC. Ingersol Rand owns Trane/Amer Stand/Thermo King. Then there's Lennox/HeatCraft/Armstrong. Rheem/Ruud. York/Coleman/Luxaire. And, they all get their parts from the same 3 major manufacturers.

[rant]
My house was built in 1983. Not new for sure but, just a toddler compared to many of the homes still standing around here.

The thing is, the furnace and evaporator coil for my HVAC system are original to the house.

When you really think about it, it's AMAZING how little we really know about the systems in our house. You flip the switch, the fan comes on. Turn the dial one way it gets colder, the other it gets hotter. Change the filters every 3 months, yadda, yadda.

I admit I was a commercial project field manager and I knew little about these systems specs until mine started to fritz out. Now, I know too much and I want to revert back to my stupidity because it was less frustrating then.

Turns out, when my now 26 year old furnace was BRAND NEW it only put 60% of it's energy into my ~2300 sqft home. Yeah. 26 gat dang YEARS AGO when oil seeped out of the concrete! NO WONDER my bills are in the $300 range each month! It's easy to blame the builders for using cheap equiment but, the real perspective is that things didn't NEED to be efficient back then because fuel/electricity was cheap and plentiful. BUt GAWD, in the 5 years I have lived here I have let the cost of a new HVAC system float up through the vent flue out into atmosphere. THAT ALONE is disgusting to me.

Fortunately, the ole goat is still cooling. It's leaked over a pound of freon (goodbye Ozone, even tho' Freon is heavier than air :? ) and the air gets to 74 at nite but the house is still humid and uncomfortable throughout the day. And, so far, the estimates have been mild but still affordable for an un-planned expense.

Of course, I haven;t been talking to the Comfort Air / One hour / Drabek folks yet. :roll:

[/rant]

Interesting. Didn't know that they were affiliated with Amana.

Mine was made in 1996. I looked it up, and Goodman bought Amana in 1997.

Presumably, Janitrol owns/owned Goodman or vice versa.

Vice versa ... goodman bought Janitrol. I had a janitrol and it was a piece of junk. We replaced it two years ago with a goodman. It's definitely not the best out there.

We just had a Goodman unit put in. No complaints and our electricity bill went way down from the 1990's model that was in there.

Back