Amber Ale Recipe Input

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

txbrewer10

Reaction score
Hey All -

I'm looking for a little feed back on an Amber Ale recipe I'm putting together. I am looking to make a simple, sessionable amber that has medium hop aromas/flavors. My grain bill looks like this:

7.5 lbs of Light LME
1 lb of Crystal 40L
.5 lbs of CaraPils (wanting good head retention and to add body. I have never used carapils before, is this enough/too much to get the desired effect?)

Also, any other specialty grains that I could add into the grain bill to make this more flavorful?

Additionally, I am planning on using strictly cascade hops for bittering, flavoring and aroma (2 oz at 60, 1 oz at 30, .5 oz at F.O). Is using cascade hops all the way through a good idea? Any other suggestions instead of cascade hops?

The yeast I have decided on is the Wyeast 1056 American Ale. Any other suggestions on yeast choice?

I put the recipe through Brewtarget and got the following:
FG: 1.014
ABV: 5.3
IBU: 36
IBU/GU: .66
SRM: 11.4

Any suggestions are welcome. Again, I know its a pretty simple recipe but looking to see if anyone has suggestions on how to spice this up to get a nice amber ale everyone can enjoy. :mug:

Cheers!

You have a solid base recipe. I think that will make an excellent sessionable amber ale. The crystal and carapils will give body and a little residual sweetness. 36 IBU will give a slight bitterness to balance the slight sweetness. I vote that you brew it like it is, unless you want a slightly hoppier bite. If you like hops, it would not be a bad idea to add another late hop addition (at 5 or 10 minutes) to add a little hops flavor, and increase the bitterness to about 45 IBU or so.

Back