my dilemma-hop mater

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reinstone

Reaction score
I use a plate chiller-

it is set up kettle-pump-chiller-kettle-that is how I chill the whole mass at once.

then I will keep the chiller and pump running as I run the beer off into the fermenter.

I have been getting clogs and can use hop bags is needed, but has anyone found a really good way to get the utilization I need without clogging the chiller.

people talk of wirlpool......is this done while the beer is hot? Doesnt the wort sitting hot while settling cause some issues?

I have seen various methods of straining-both at the hop level (ie adding the hops to a screened area) and at the spigot (a mesh screen-like the hop stopper).

I would usually just use bags and use more hops to get the correct utilization in a less hoppy beer-

now I want an IPA and all I have is CITRA and that crap isnt cheap.

I have a 20 gallon kettle and usually try to have 12 gallons of beer when all is said and done.

what do you guys use-what would you recommend for me?

If you have questions please ask and I will answer.

Man I use a 40 plate wort chiller and for the longest time it was pissing me off due to clogging. I then installed a stainless steel braid on my kettle, just like my mash tun, and wow, it works so friggin good. I use whole leaf hops on average and I couldn't be happier with the results. It is probably the cheapest method for filtering and it really does work. Give it a try, 10 bucks.....

Latest posts

Back