Ok to rack to secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyfan964

Reaction score
Brew has been in primary for 8 days now and the air lock is bubbling once about every 1:30- 1:45, being minutes and seconds of course. Should I wait until they stop completely or go ahead and do it now? It is a nut brown ale.

Take a hydrometer reading, if it's still high, leave it, if not, rack it. It won't hurt to leave it another few days, I usually wait until I have little to no airlock activity before I rack.

cyfan964 said:
Brew has been in primary for 8 days now and the air lock is bubbling once about every 1:30- 1:45, being minutes and seconds of course. Should I wait until they stop completely or go ahead and do it now? It is a nut brown ale.
I tend to agree with JDD.

Depends on the recipe though. I rarely go more than 7 days before moving to secondary but my Belgian Blonde was active for 10 days so that batch I held off on.

1&1/2 minutes is pretty slow. but a hydro reading is the real indicator. Just because you move to a 2ndary doesn't mean you're going to stop the final phase of fermentation. If you're eager to transfer, go ahead. Can't hurt.

Back