Did my shortcut cost me this much?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winvarin

Reaction score
Did my “shortcut” cost me? I am pretty sure I know what went wrong yesterday. I just wanted somebody to verify my troubleshooting. I took a “shortcut” yesterday when batch sparging and believe this is the cause of the huge efficiency hit I took. I was about 15 points UNDER my expected gravity and am pretty sure I did it to myself in an effort to save time. Here’s my grain bill and a couple particulars of my brew day:
Style – American Pale Ale
6# 2-row
3.25# Vienna
2.25# Munich
0.5# 60L crystal
0.5# 20L crystal
About 38 IBUs, all Cascade
- With my usual low efficiency (65%), I was expecting in the neighborhood of 1.053 FG on 5.5 gallons (confirmed by both BeerSmith and hand calculations)
-Mashed with 1.5 qts per pound of grain
-Nailed my expected mash temp of 152
- Mash pH was 5.4 (confirmed at 10 and 30 min into the mash).
- At 55 min into the mash, an iodine test confirmed starch conversion

I collected 7 gal of pre-boil wort. Temperature adjusted, the pre-boil gravity was about 1.034 (well short of the 1.041 I was expecting). Things only got worse post boil. I had approximately 5.5 gallons of wort and break material at the end of it all. My final gravity was 1.038. I certainly expected to gain more than 4 points in the boil off. And like I said above, I came in a full 15 points under my anticipated final gravity.
I double-checked my hydrometer reading with a refractometer and got just shy of 9 brix. This seems to confirm that I was not mis-reading the hydrometer.

So what did I do? I jacked with my normal batch sparge process. With a 10-gal cooler as a mash tun and only 12.5# of grain with 5 gal of water, I had a huge amount of headspace in the mash. So I did no first running and put all but a gallon of my sparge water in with the mash and mash water. Here’s my usual process vs. the process I tried yesterday:

Usual –
1. At end of mash, recirculate for clarity and completely drain mash tun before adding any sparge water
2. Add 50% of my sparge water, stir like a madman, recirculate and drain (grain bed is usually just north of 160F after this step)
3. Add remaining 50% of my sparge water, stir like a madman, recirculate and drain (I shoot for 7 gallon since I do a 75 min boil)

Yesterday –
1. At and of mash, I added 3 gallons of sparge water, stirred like a madman, recirculated and drained (with my system’s grain absorption, this resulted in 6 gallons in the kettle. Grain bed was 161 after this step)

2. Added 1.25 gallons, stirred the much thicker bed this time, recirculated and drained. This got me to 7.1 gallons with the numbers as listed above.

Everything else being as expected, the only thing I can think I did was to leave a significant amount of sugar behind in the grains by trying to short-circuit the batch sparge. It’s pretty hard to swallow, but it appears that I am looking at about 47% efficiency instead of my usually, already low 65%. Any input is much appreciated

It’s fermenting now. Here’s to a really light hoppy beer. Good thing it’s summer I guess. This is going to be a new take on the term “lawnmower beer”.

Sorry if the formatting is off. Emailed this post from work and posted it from an iPhone. Gotta love the work filter against anything alcohol related

You kinda just did a No-Sparge. Except you left a little sparge water (1.25 gals). This probably lead to your lower than usual efficiency. Normal batches I get 80% eff. But with No Sparge I get 60-65%. This is a normal drop in efficiency when you use this method. So I suspect you got exactly what you should have with no sparge.

However, one of your readings must have been off. If your pre-boil was only 7 points low then your post boil gravity should match that. Unless your boil off was markedly higher than normal. Are you sure all your measurements were correct?

Edit: Depending on the temperature of the hydrometer sample it could have been off a little, even if temp corrected. The rule of thumb is that the closer it is to it's calibrated temperature, the more accurate it is. I.E. If you're measuring 150 degree wort then it is less accurate than 80 degree wort.

TheMan said:
You kinda just did a No-Sparge. Except you left a little sparge water (1.25 gals). This probably lead to your lower than usual efficiency. Normal batches I get 80% eff. But with No Sparge I get 60-65%. This is a normal drop in efficiency when you use this method. So I suspect you got exactly what you should have with no sparge.

However, one of your readings must have been off. If your pre-boil was only 7 points low then your post boil gravity should match that. Unless your boil off was markedly higher than normal. Are you sure all your measurements were correct?

Edit: Depending on the temperature of the hydrometer sample it could have been off a little, even if temp corrected. The rule of thumb is that the closer it is to it's calibrated temperature, the more accurate it is. I.E. If you're measuring 150 degree wort then it is less accurate than 80 degree wort.

I thought my pre-boil numbers seemed off in relation to everything else too. I got 1.016 at 153f. Don't have notes in front of me but I think the online calc I used gave me around 1.034 temp adjusted. It did seem odd that I only gained 4 points when boiling from 7 down to 5.5 gal

Correction. My pre boil gravity was only 7 points lower than what I expected for a pre boil gravity not for a final gravity. I estimate my pre boil gravity and final gravity. If I catch something like I should have yesterday, then I can adjust with either added water or a little dme

Well you stated that your OG was 15 points low. However your preboil was only 7 points low. Assuming that your boil off was exactly as anticipated and you intended to have the 5.5 gallons that you ended up with, then your post boil (OG) would have been 7 points low as well.

However, if one of your volume measurements is off, then that would cause the OG to differ more than 7 points. Unless your preboil reading was off.

I am willing to assume it was a blown brew day all around. I wonder if taking my pre boil gravity at 153 and trying to temp correct could account for the discrepancy in the 2 measurements?

It could, If you were 7 points low in the first place, then an inaccurate reading would throw it off even further.

IMO, I think your preboil reading was wrong. I trust that the OG reading is correct. And since your efficiency came in at 47% (this number is calculated based on the OG), and normally you get 65% then I assume that your loss is only attributed to the fact that you essentially did a No Sparge batch.

If you wish to use this method, which some people love and I've used myself with success, then simple plan for about 50% efficiency compared to your normal 65%.

Not related to your problem, BUT....

Stir thoroughly, NOT like a madman

Save yourself some time and do one batch sparge, not 2.

Thanks all. If you guys are in OK anytime soon, feel free to stop by for a Lawnmower APA :)

Denny said:
Not related to your problem, BUT....

Stir thoroughly, NOT like a madman

Save yourself some time and do one batch sparge, not 2.

I meant thoroughly. I was trying to add some humor into what was otherwise a humorless brew day

Back