Oxygenation of pre boil wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichSib

Reaction score
Does anyone have any input on whether oxygenation of pre-boil wort, due to a splashy transfer from MLT to kettle, is good, bad or indifferent?
As always I appreciate your insight and knowledge.
Rich.

Indifferent - the boil forces off most of the disolved gases (O2, CO2, N2, etc) so you have almost no gasses in the wort at all.

You need to oxygenate AFTER boil and probably after cooling as cold liquids generally hold more disolved gasses than hot ones.

I'm not sure I'm ready to call hot side aeration a "boogeyman" like other homebrewers do, as I do detect an awful lot of minor aeration in most people's homebrews I've judged.

But I can't say where it comes from. Could it be HSA? Could it be a tiny bit of splashing while racking? Could it be from a little oxygen in the headspace in a bottle? Could be.

I am not ready to call HSA a myth, although I've had some instances myself where there was some aeration in the MLT and transfer and didn't experience any ill effects. I'd say to still be mindful that some experts have told us there is such a thing as HSA, so don't splash unnecessarily. But until someone comes forward and claims that HSA is a real risk and problem, I would also suggest not worrying about it much!

Back