Bubbling question (not a Q about fermentation, though)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heywolfie1015

Reaction score
I'm doing my first batch with a blow off tube and noticed that it seems to bubble less at the same point in fermentation than the previous two batches I did with an airlock. My thinking is that the greater size of the tube requires more CO2 production and so just has a slower bubbling rate. Of course, I could just be talking out of my *ss here...

Curious to see if other people ever noticed the same thing?

Your beer will ferment at different rates depending on many variables..
*Yeast used
*Starting gravity
*temprature
just to name a few

Your blowofftube size may be responsible for what you are seeing. remember, Airlock/blowoff activity is NEVER an indication of fermentation.

Yeah, I've been thinking about those variables as well. I'm not worried about fermentation, just find the difference interesting. Previous two were a pale ale and a wit, both with OGs around 1.045. This one is a Belgian with an OG (if I read it right) up in the 1.09s. All starting temps have been about the same, but the yeast has obviously been different each time. This time, I also made a starter and pitched an extra smack pack. Previous two were, respectively, an unrehydrated dry pack and a smack pack with no starter. I was sort of expecting this one to start foaming out the tube by the end of Day 1. :D

Back