Garage Fridge Eulogy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCuckerson

Reaction score
Well it finally happened, my 1997 kenmore garage fridge finally kicked the bucket. Man, it was a good garage fridge. It held 4 cornies, 2 cases of natty light and all of my harvested yeast, not to mention all the stored hops in the freezer..... anyway, its time to move on. I need to build something quick because I really have no intention of bottling ever again.

Here are my two options:

mini fridge with twin tower kept in the kitchen (already got permission from SWMBO)

Keezer in the garage (already have temp control, so thats no big deal)

What are the advantages, disadvantages and overall really compelling arguments for or against either option. Thanks in advance!

McC

Well, the mini fridge is a lot more convenient for serving. Right in the kitchen, not way out in the garage. But, it's smaller. Not much storage room. Probably limited to two taps. Not big enough to both lager in a carboy and serve.

The keezer; a lot more storage, good for cold-conditioning/lagering beers other than those you have on tap. Depending on size, almost limitless number of taps. Way out in the garage, though.

The ideal, if you can get ahold of the checkbook long enough?

Both.

If you're doing #1 anyway, you probably don't REALLY need the external temp controller, the fridge's internal thermo should let you dial in your serving temps.

Then, keep your eyes peeled on Craigslist for a cheap used chest freezer, and make an cheap n' ugly fermentation cooler/yeast storer for the garage. $50 for an old chest freezer and $3 of bleach to get rid of the dead-hooker smell.

I don't see this as being an either-or situation.

and $3 of bleach to get rid of the dead-hooker smell.

Sounds like you got one of PTN's old keezers... :eek:

I do agree with the rest of the posting... Hunt on CL until you can get a freezer with enough capacity that you'll be able to get a lot of use from it.. You could even get a used unit for use in the kitchen.

I've seen a lot of used refrigerators on CL lately... If you look long enough, and can act fast enough, you'll be able to get exactly what you want for cheap money.

Just be sure to have plenty of cleaning supplies at home to remove those extra smells...

I attribute a large part of my parents continued marriage to the garage. I love that garage. It gave them their time alone without one having to actually be away.

Well, the mini fridge is a lot more convenient for serving. Right in the kitchen, not way out in the garage. But, it's smaller. Not much storage room. Probably limited to two taps. Not big enough to both lager in a carboy and serve.

The keezer; a lot more storage, good for cold-conditioning/lagering beers other than those you have on tap. Depending on size, almost limitless number of taps. Way out in the garage, though.

The ideal, if you can get ahold of the checkbook long enough?

Both.

If you're doing #1 anyway, you probably don't REALLY need the external temp controller, the fridge's internal thermo should let you dial in your serving temps.

Then, keep your eyes peeled on Craigslist for a cheap used chest freezer, and make an cheap n' ugly fermentation cooler/yeast storer for the garage. $50 for an old chest freezer and $3 of bleach to get rid of the dead-hooker smell.

I don't see this as being an either-or situation.
Good points! I am leaning towards the mini fridge because the fridge in the garage took an absolute beating; 105 degree heat in the NC summer, yet 34f inside... I think the black or stainless mini fridge with the twin tap tower is just plain sexy. I can store hops and yeast in the main fridge and after several batches I feel that lagers are not worth their trouble.

But, keep looking for the keezer for the garage, nice I like that. Dead hooker smell and all..... LOL

I attribute a large part of my parents continued marriage to the garage. I love that garage. It gave them their time alone without one having to actually be away.
Did they have the screen in front of it in the summer?

whats the problem with the old fridge? Is it un-fixable? Did it violently explode into many small pieces, thus rendering it beyond repair?
Well.... It wouldn't go below 60f. After doing all the trouble shooting of the defrost timing circuit, thermometer circuit and the compressor itself, I determined it was a major heat cycle related failure. So I did what any ingenious and curious homebrewer would do: I cut the condensor coil line. After the big PPPHHHHHEEEEEEEWWWWW I gave it last rights and cut it up for scrap.

I got it for free on CL, so I always felt like I was in the black with this thing. It did have a really funny smell though....

Wow that's just too funny. Or is it too Ohio? :tank:
I'm what they call a "garage guy" too. Spend ALOT of my time out there working on projects etc...my wife and I both. Some folks swear that I have a bathroom hidden there somewhere but no, I use a tree outside like any respectable man.

Back