Mead Pils? Werd.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
Just pulled a sample from a keg of pils I've been lagering for about 8 weeks or so. Simple-assed recipe like usual...mostly pilsner malt, 1/2 lb each of carapils and honey malt.

Now, I've used honey malt plenty before---hell, I'm drinking an IPA right now that has 1.5lbs in it---but never before has it had this much of an impact on my beer. Holy hell, I'm loving this. This is forevermore my Mead Pils! It's like honey in a glass, but still with all those awesome woody, minerally notes of a bohemian pils.

I'm a fuggin genius. :p

Evan! said:
I'm a fuggin genius. :p

Evan, that's what I like about you. Your modesty.

Seriously that really sounded weird to me at first- but then a light bulb went on for me. I really would like a "honey pils" or "honey IPA" but I've always shied away from real honey. I think I'd like to try to make both of these- do you have the recipe posted?

I agree. He's got huge lifesize cut-outs of himself all over his house! I know, I've brewed with him. ;)
Seriously though, Evan was much more laid back and casual in-person than I was expecting from his posts/demeanor online. One of the many things I will miss about living up north was the 'brew-togethers' that could have been. Now I know I have to go to NHC this year! :cross:

Well, yeah, I am known for my modesty. Seth, you're lucky we were brewing early in the day and I didn't have a few more pints in me. It does suck that you had to break outta here so soon, but such is life. As for NHC, I found a cheap hotel room across the interstate from the Sheraton. Then I went to the NHC site to register, and all the "normal" registrations are used up. Alls they have left are some special tickets for $138. I can't swing that, not with France coming up. Damnit. I had no idea they could run out of tickets. I'm none too happy.

Yooper, I'll post it in the morning, but it's nothing fancy. Like 9 lbs of pilsner, half a pound each of honey malt and carapils, galena to bitter (I use it to bitter everything these days), and I think I used saaz late. Then I had that weirdo Saflage W-36-70 or whatever it was. Took weeks to finish, and I had to actually bring it up to 60f once to get it started back up.

Latest posts

Back