New to Forum And need help with Pre Prohibition Pilsner.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patthebrewer

Reaction score
Hello All! I'm new to this forum but not new to Brewing. I am currently working on a recipe for a Pre-Prohibition American Pilsner. For historical accuracy I'm using six row, however I use a ten gallon Cooler MLT. As a result I'm a single infusion masher. What temp should I mash at and how am I going to deal with the extra protein in six row. Right now I'm looking at 20% Flaked corn as the adjunct.

Typically, you would add a protein rest for the 6 row. eg a thick mash at 122 and then infuse with boiling water to hit 150 and rest there for 60 minutes.

Okay if I do the protein rest, I figure 30minutes is about right....am I correct on that? Also How thick should the mash be for protein rest? My usual concentrations range from 1.25 to 1.50 quarts/lb or should I just do my usual concentration, and then add enough boiling water to bring the temp up to mash (whatever amount that is) and not worry about the final mash concentration. Thanks again

Back