I need a good Hefeweizen recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OtherWhiteMeat

Reaction score
Guys, I need a well established Hefeweizen recipe. Post some recipes that youve used and liked. Ive looked on beerrecipes.org but I want to make something that people know they like.

you looking for an extract recipe or an all-grain? i bought the brewmaster's bible a couple of weeks ago, and it has a bajillion recipes in it. i would be happy to scan some and email them to you.

Here's one.

Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse (from Beer Captured)

4 oz Belgian Aromatic Malt
2 oz Acid Malt

6 lb. 5 oz. Muntons Wheat Dry Malt Extract
2¼ oz. Malto Dextrin

1 oz. American Hallertauer @ 3.5% (bittering hop)

¼ oz. Spalt (flavor hop)
¼ oz. Perle (flavor hop)

White Labs #WLP300 Hefeweizen Ale Yeast

1½ cup Muntons Wheat Dry Malt Extract

OG: 1.052

El P's posted recipe *IS* an extract recipe. (well.. extract with some specialty grains to be specific, but that's just as easy to make as extract-only.)

You might have trouble finding an extract-only recipe for very many beers, because you often have to throw in some specialty grains for more complex flavors than can be found in extract alone.

-walker

Walker said:
El P's posted recipe *IS* an extract recipe. (well.. extract with some specialty grains to be specific, but that's just as easy to make as extract-only.)

You might have trouble finding an extract-only recipe for very many beers, because you often have to throw in some specialty grains for more complex flavors than can be found in extract alone.

-walker

:) Yes i knew his was, I was answering subwyking's question. I have no problem steeping specialty grains, I just dont want to get into mashing and stuff yet.

Not exactly trying to drag this into another steep vs mini-mash discussion, but I think those grains El P has listed are of the "must be mashed" variety.

"must be mashed" needs to be followed by "if you want fermentable sugar out of them". There's plenty of extract there for fermenting, so the grains can be used simply for flavor, and steeping is fine for getting the flavor out of the grains.

-walker

OtherWhiteMeat said:
Im looking for extract recipes. Pistol you seem to always have one in your sig, is this one good?
Here's an extract only recipe.

Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier (from Beer Captured)
6 lb. Muntons Wheat DME
1 oz. German Hallertau Hersbrucker @ 4.5% AA (60 mins)
Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan Weizen

This is as easy as it gets...haven't tried it yet, but the original is damn good.

The one in my sig is the first recipe posted above. Don't know how good it is because the hurricane moved in while it was fermenting. The samples I took after a week and ten days were phenomenal tho. Cheesefood and I are both gonna try it again next week...he's gonna use the Wyeast and I'm gonna use the White Labs again. Hop on board and we'll all swap a few once it's ready.

I'd just be concerned with ending up with uncoverted starches, but as long as he keeps the temps reasonable (let's say 145 - 160º) he's good to go.

LupusUmbrus said:
Not exactly trying to drag this into another steep vs mini-mash discussion, but I think those grains El P has listed are of the "must be mashed" variety.
I don't expect to get any sugar out of the grains...I'm definately not doing a mini-mash...they're steeped in a 1/2 gallon water.

El Pistolero said:
Here's an extract only recipe.

Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier (from Beer Captured)
6 lb. Muntons Wheat DME
1 oz. German Hallertau Hersbrucker @ 4.5% AA (60 mins)
Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan Weizen

This is as easy as it gets...haven't tried it yet, but the original is damn good.

The one in my sig is the first recipe posted above. Don't know how good it is because the hurricane moved in while it was fermenting. The samples I took after a week and ten days were phenomenal tho. Cheesefood and I are both gonna try it again next week...he's gonna use the Wyeast and I'm gonna use the White Labs again. Hop on board and we'll all swap a few once it's ready.

Ill try this one since you said that the original is good. Once its finished ill swap this one if youd like to try it. Im going to learn the whole mashing process soon but this is an order for a group of friends for an upcoming event. I cant mess around. Can I age it in the 1-2-3 process?

El Pistolero, can you give me step by step detailed instructions on your first recipe? I like the fact that it has multiple ingrediants. Id like to know exacly how you do it. Im still new enough to where id screw up if i guessed where all that went and when, but im excellent at following instructions.

El Pistolero said:
Fourth post down in this thread. Holler if that's not enough detail.

Thats perfect thanks. Ive decided to do this first one. Ill be starting it in a week when my primary is vacant, if youd like some after its done ill trade with you. If there is a small detail you think might be interesting to change about the recipe and you want me to try it ill be happy to, just post or pm me.

Back