Midnight DIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppedupcascadian

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Partial Mash
Yeast
wyeast British Ale
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
TBD
Boiling Time (Minutes)
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days at 68
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days at 68
Tasting Notes
Hoping for something crazy
I began this brew wanting to do a CDA, so I used Deschutes Hop in the Dark clone recipe. Then I attempted to make it a black dipa, this is what I came up with.

Midnight DIPA.

Grains & Extract.
7 lbs Pale LME
2lbs light Briess DME
1lb 2-row Pale
5 oz Briess Caramel 60L
4 oz Flaked Oats
2.4 oz Munich Malt
2.4 oz Chocolate Malt
1.8 oz Dark Crystal 120L Malt
.4 oz Black Patent
.4 oz Bairds Roasted Barley

Hops

2 oz Northern Brewer
2 oz Cascade
1 oz Nugget
1 oz Centennial (pellet)
1 oz Amarillo
1 oz Citra
1 oz Chinook
1 oz Warrior
(Dry hops to be determined)

Brittish Ale Yeast
3/4 tsp. Irish Moss
.25 lb Honey

Hop Schedule
90- 1 oz Northern Brewer, .5 oz Cascade, .5 oz Amarillo
75-.5 oz Nugget, .5 oz Citra
60- .5 oz Cascade, .5 oz Centennial, .5 oz Northern Brewer
45- .5 oz Warrior, .5 oz Nugget
30- .5 oz Chinook, .5 oz Citra, .5 oz Cascade
15- .5 oz Northern Brewer, .5 oz Amarillo
0- .5 oz Warrior, .5 oz Chinook, .5 oz Cascade
Dry Hop- 1 oz for 5 days, 1 oz for 7 days, 1 oz for 10 days. Hop types to be determined.

Add 3/4 tsp. Irish Moss at 15 mins.
Add 1/4 lb Honey at 0 mins.

Pitch yeast at 75 degrees F.

I am a little worried about only using one packet of wyeast labs yeast and no yeast nutrient with such a high O.G. I am hoping the 2 lbs DME and the little bit of honey will help.

I am expecting an almost black color and about 9 % ABV with heavy hop aroma. This brew is so big and heavy I think its nearly a barelywine, but I am not great with determining styles. I am hoping the caramel and chocolate malt flavors come through and that the oats and honey help smooth things out a touch.

Please let me know what you think of this recipe. I still need to figure out my dry hops and my fermentation and bottle conditioning times. With such a heavy grain load should I let the majority of the batch mature for a couple months before drinking? Or will the heavy hop load demand to be drank earlier as to not loose precious hop flavor and aroma?

Let me know what you think :mug:

-Colin

I am a little worried about only using one packet of wyeast labs yeast and no yeast nutrient with such a high O.G. I am hoping the 2 lbs DME and the little bit of honey will help.

Will a two week ferment and 2 lbs of DME be enough to get the yeast colonies to the number they should be at? Or should I add more yeast tomorrow?.. If that is even a good option. Please let me know.

Back