Pitching on a yest cake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jelsas

Reaction score
Hi- I'm about to brew my first batch with a liquid yeast, and while I'm at trying new things, I figured why not try to pitch my next batch on the yeast cake. I've done a bit of reading, but I just wanted to make sure.... when I rack to the secondary, I just leave the goop behind in the primary. Then I immediately rack right my cooled wort onto that.

seems too simple :)

Also... how many times can this be done?

If you pour off about 2/3rds of the trub each time, you can go four fermentations. Bear in mind, there will be some transfer of flavors, so your best bet is to start light/pale/low hop and work your way up.

The BEST way to reuse a yeast cake is to brew the EXACT recipe on top of it.

If it were a pale ale and you are re-brewing the same recipe you couldn't do any better.

If you want to use it for a different brew, hoppier, darker, etc you can do that, but once you do you can't take those attributes away form the yeast cake without washing.

If you learned how to wash you can re-use the yeast and split it several times. This may allow you to use the same yeast, or portions of it really, over 16 times without any problems.:D

Since it was a liquid yeast, let's say it cost you $8, like it does for me, at 16 times it equals $0.50 each time.

Thanks for the replies -- exactly what I was looking for. My plan is to brew a bitter, followed by an imperial stout. So, I think there's not much concern for off-flavors carrying through too heavily into the stout.

Back