Another temperature question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pluscount

Reaction score
I’ve started brewing again after 30 years.

On my 5th batch now and having fun. Trying many styles to see what I like. For better or worse, I’ve decided to primary only.

I have good temperature control (+/- 1 deg) for my fermentation cabinet. Is there a-rule-of-thumb about the taste effects of yeast temperature ranges?

Example 1: Assume an Ale with Og of 1.050, Wyeast 1332 Northwest Ale with a recommend temp of 65-75 deg and a 5 week primary.

Is there a material difference
If I keep a steady 74 deg
If I keep a steady 70 deg
If I keep a steady 66 deg

Example 2: Assume an American Wheat with Og of 1.040, Safale US-05 with a recommend temp of 59-75 deg and a 3 week primary.

Is there a material difference
If I keep a steady 74 deg
If I keep a steady 67 deg
If I keep a steady 60 deg

Welcome back. :rockin:

There are plenty here with alot more experience than me, but I will hazzard to say that a rule of thumb might be tough to find. Each yeast strain is different and you will need to experiment to find your own tastes preference.

I will say, however, that I don't ferment any thing over 70 deg F.

good luck and enjoy!

:mug:

Wow, when you said that the recommended temp for wy1332 was 65 to 75 I did not believe you -> went to the wyeast website and checked: it's true!

By my experience, northwest produces a very particular flavor profile, that is VERY similar to phenolic off flavors but not quite as offensive and it can be very nice in the proper measure. I think that I never fermented any beer with northwest above the 64-66 range and liked it! Absolutely don't go above 70 with this yeast!!! That is, unless you would like to taste a mouthful of surgical-grade rubber and then swallow it ;)

Latest posts

Back