AHS Partial Mash question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G-E-R-M-A-N

Reaction score
Ok decided to do the AHS partial mash heff, but had a few questions. I am going to be doing this tomorrow for my first brew, but the instructions differed from my current equipment.

It came with 1 1/4 German pilsner
1/2 Carapils
1 1/4 Red wheat.

It says in a 16-20 quart stockpot to heat 2 1/2 gal water to 160F and turn off heat. Then soak grains maintaining 155F for 45 min. ( I am guessing that 160 is the correct strike temp for the lbs of grain to achieve 155f)

I have a 10 gal igloo MLT I just made. I am sure I can use this, but not sure if anything would change. I am guessing I should preheat the igloo, and add maybe 165F water and wait for it to drop to 160?

After the 1st runnings I am going to sparge with 1.5 quarts of water. (it says to use 1 quart to every 2lbs grain.

So after all this mini mash is done I will have 2.88 gallons give or take (not accounting for grain absorption.

Ok so after this I am supposed to add the 5lbs of wheat extract and boil. I have a 40 quart pot so couldn't I use more water to make this a full boil ?? It seems the hops would need to be adjusted for this right? I mean wouldnt this prevent burning the sugars like warned?

Instructions say 3/4oz spalt for 60m
1/4oz spalt for last 5m

I have extra hallertauer mittelfrueh in the freezer if needed.

I really need help quick as I am going to do this tomorrow, and it is my only day to do it for a while. I jumped into this head first, and wanna get it right.

I am rockin a 26 qt pot and doing full boils. I do 1.375 qts per lb at 154 (165 strike) for 45 min then 182 = 168 grain bed for 2nd runnings. Add to a 3-3.5 gallons of boiling water = 5.8 gallon boil depemding on grain bill. I do late addition (15 min till flameout) boils, hop ute difference is so minimal dont worry about it.

Back