If BMC made pizza

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david_42

Reaction score
The crust

Keep it simple: flour, water and yeast. Don't add anything that might add flavor or texture. Ideally, the crust should taste and feel like a unsalted, non-fat cracker. Extra points if it shatters when consumed.

The sauce

The key here is thin. Apply it with an airbrush. Don't add anything that might clog the brush, like spices or actual tomatoes. You should be able to see the crust through the sauce layer at all points. Any more than that and it won't dry out properly in the oven.

The cheese

Place each shred so it is not touching any other shred. Too much and the sauce won't dry out properly.

The toppings

It's much easier and more profitable to keep these to a minimum. If you need two hands to count the pepperoni bits on each slice, you've over-done it. If you sell by the slice, just make cheese pizzas. You can add the topping and re-bake the slice. This ensures the sauce is dried out.

[The local pizza place changed hands. I'd say four of the five frozen pizzas at the supermarket are better.]

Not to get into EACishness of food, but the best french bread is only made from water, flour, and yeast (and a pinch of salt).

I would have to agree with everything else though!

PseudoChef said:
Not to get into EACishness of food, but the best french bread is only made from water, flour, and yeast (and a pinch of salt).

I would have to agree with everything else though!

The key there is probably the flour and the yeast though, BMC would use cheap yeast and extra refined white flour.

I just had a Red Baron last night, and that pretty much describes it to a "T". Like eating a thimblefull of tomato sauce on a saltine.

Professor Frink said:
I don't remember the last time I had a good slice of pizza. Stupid North Carolina...

Feh! Come to my house. There is a local place (J&S Pizza) that does good NY style pizza, but if you're looking for (something close to) the real thing, swing by when I'm baking.

I haven't yet disabled the lock on my oven so I can bake pizzas on the Self Cleaning cycle (that's next) and hit a clean Neapolitan style pie in less than 2 minutes, but mine are still pretty darn good. And, yes, they are made with only water, flour, yeast and salt -- just like Napoli. I generally use a retarded fermentation and start the dough the night before. If I'm using heavy bread flour I might add a touch of olive oil and honey just to make the dough a bit more extensible and easier to roll out. Other than that, mine are pretty classic. If we do a Triangle beer swap/tasting night, I'll happily bring pizzas as a palate cleansers.

Chad

If you're ever in champaign, IL stop by Papa Dell's. Best pizza I've ever had. (Chicago deep dish style)

http://www.pizzamaking.com/papadels.php

Not the place's website as they don't have one, but the pic is of their pizza, and there's an attempt at a recipe there.

I picture a BMC pizza as a square of toilet paper with a ghostly picture of a pizza printed on. Not filling, not satisfying, but definitely a pale facsimile of the real thing.

You want pizza, order yourself a Lou Malnatti's deep-dish butter-crust sausage.

http://www.loumalnatis.com/

loupizza.gif

Oh yeah, it really looks like that.

Cheese, I forgot about loumanati's. I don't know though between them and papa dels, I've had papa dels a lot more since it's very accessible to me. Ever had it here in chambana?

The saddest part: the next closest pizza place is their parent location! Tom (former owner) wasn't much of a businessman, but he made great pizza.

I think the best pizza I've ever had was at the Square Pan Pizza Company in San Diego. That was a long time ago and I don't even know if they are still around.

Lou Malnati's is the best pizza ever and you can order a bake at home pie right from their website if you're not in the Chicago area. Everyone should try it at least once

If you're in Chicago, Pequad's is pretty awesome as well. Its all about the carmelized crust:

http://www.pequodspizza.com/

And if you can grab a slice at the original Pompeii Bakery on Taylor St. (I used to live right by there in my college days), its a must.

Uno's and Geno's East are ok and I've got no big complaints, but I'll choose Lou's or Pequod's everytime. Giordano's is way overrated in my opinion. Their pizza has gone way downhill over the last 5 years or so.

Back