exploding sausage?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aseg

Reaction score
Hey all, I just started making sausage recently and am wondering if anyone can explain why my breakfast sausage "explodes" when cooking it.

I am making the sausage from the breakfast sausage recipe in charcuterie, using sheep casings. When I saute the sausages in a pan, the casings split and the sausage oozes out from everywhere. Is this because I overloaded the casings?

It could be from a bunch of different things. You could have overstuffed but that isn't likely. Most likely you are either cooking too hot and fast or you had air trapped inside the casings.

I put them in a cold pan, then bring the pan up to medium heat with the sausages in them. It is almost as if they are expanding beyond what the casing can hold. The last time we cooked them, about half of them jailbroke the casing. I guess we need to go even slower with them.

Try simmering one in water. If it still blows then it probably either overstuffed or air, most likely air.

Latest posts

Back