Should this be a 90 minute boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lodovico

Reaction score
I'm brewing one of the Black IPA's from this month's BYO and I was wondering how necessary this 90 minute boil is. After reading through, it seems to me like a 60 minute boil would be fine.

It doesn't contain any Pils malt and and it's only like 1.069. Here are the malts:

11.5 Two Row
18 oz. dehusked Carafa II
18 oz. Munich Malt
8 oz. Crystal 80
12 oz. white wheat

Doesn't seem like one that I would normally boil for 90 minutes. How important do you think this is?

I almost always do 90 minute boils. That way I can use more sparge water and then get more boil off and a little better efficiency. I still use a 60 minute hop schedule most of the time. It really won't make much difference.

You don't have to do a 90 minute boil with that grain bill, unless of course you want a 90 minute hop addition. I typically only do 90 minute boils when adding a 90 or 75 minute hop addition, or using pils. But everyone has their own opinions on whether or not to use a 90 min boil.

It's for the hop utlilization. And 60 mins. vs. 90 mins. can make a pretty substantial difference in IBU.

Back