Three Piece Airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

busta98

Reaction score
So I'm using a 3 piece airlock for the first time. I brewed a pretty big beer and was pretty sure there would be blow off. Does it bubble like the S-shaped airlock?

Ok mine isnt doing what it's doing in the video. I saw tiny bubbles on the wall of it but no bubbly activity and it makes me nervous. I opened it up and there is a good layer of krausen on top of it. Thoughts?

No bubbles does not mean no fermentation. My brews usually bubble like mad for 24 hours, then bubble about once every frew hours for a couple days...then nothing. Don't worry. Krausen is a good sign.

Yeah the water level is there. I was pretty sure thats where it needed to be. I know the activity in the airlock isn't a 100% way to judge fermentation but its complete lack made me nervous.

hey the first time i used a 3 piece i didn't even add any liquid. I just figured the CO2 would be enough to lift the bell. Couldn't figure out why it hadn't taken off. Added some liquid and she lit up like a machine gun.

because to get in, air or bacteria or whatever would have to go down through the liquid then back up under the bell cover and then down the tube into the fermenter. Sometimes (if you move the fermenter, say) there can be some suck-back of the liquid in the airlock, but other than that, it'd be really tough for anything to get in there.

So just to give an update. The krausen layer finally dropped off and I took a gravity reading it came in at 1.024. My OG was 1.078 so it came along nicely. Thanks for all the info guys!

Back