orange/blood orange recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Officerbinary

Reaction score
I found a recipe on a few websites for orange beer. I was wondering if maybe some allspicr or cinnamon would be good in an application like these and if so how would one add these ingrediants, and in what sort of amount? Assuming of course a 5g batch.

I got nothing. If you haven't already, check the recipes/ingredients section, the recipe database, and the search function. I would start with general things like 'cinnamon' and so forth.

Not sure but I would try to add in the primary or secondary before adding to the boil.

Allspice is strong. Small, small, and small amounts. May be crush one or two of the kernels. Cinnamon is best if you grind sticks just before usage. Spices like these work best in the last 10 or 15 minutes of the boil.

I've been told that cinnamon gets stronger the longer it ages. I've got no personal experience with it, though.

Cinnamon works well with orange. I have an awesome recipe for a Belgian Wit that I use a pinch of cinnamon in. But a little goes a long way. Also it should be added in the last 5-10 minutes of the boil. Some may add it at flame out.

So are we talking like a teaspoon of fresh ground right at the end? Or less than/more than that?

A teaspoon is a good starting point. Generally that is all that Is needed to have the taste be there without overpowering. However, you could always use fresh cinnamon sticks in the secondary to add more flavor after you've tasted a sample.

Back