Yogurt N00b

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksbrain

Reaction score
As far as I can tell, making yogurt is very simple.

1. Heat milk to 180, hold for ~15 minutes to kill nasties
2. Cool milk to 110, just open and uncovered is OK
3. Pitch 1-2 TBSP active yogurt cultures
4. Allow to ferment at ~110 for 6+ hours
5. Cool and serve (optionally strain thru cheesecloth)

Am I missing something?

SWMBO started a crock pot yogurt today while I was at work, before I could properly advise. I am just trying to get a grip on the basic process and filter through the internet garbage. Most of the yogurt recipes online don't seem to understand why they do the things they do (much like many online beer recipes). I think you all will understand why and put it in beery terms I can relate to.

You seem to have it.

The only thing with homemade yogurt is that it seems to be runny, so some add gelatin or strain though cheesecloth. I haven't done it lately, as my source for raw milk went to $8 a gallon, and that was too much for my yogurt!

The one she made is basically still liquid. I think it never hit 180 and then was too cool after that. I will try again today.

Thanks for the input!

I have been experimenting with yogurt and got my process down to how I like my yogurt. Here's what I do.

1. Heat milk to ~185 in a make shift double boiler, turn off heat and let sit covered for 30 minutes. I have found that the longer it sits at 180-190, the thicker/creamier the yogurt will come out.

2. Cool milk to 110 in a cool water bath in the sink, lightly mixing it with a whisk to cool quicker, trying not to make it too frothy.

3. Pitch yogurt with active live cultures. I use 3-4 TBSP of yogurt (straight out of the fridge or allowed to warm to room temperature) per 1/2 gallon of milk and whisk it into the milk thoroughly. I prefer starting with Stonyfield Oikos Greek yogurt but then use my own yogurt as a starter.

4. I pour the milk and culture mixture into the storage jars, cover, and let them sit at ~110 for 7 hours to produce the taste I like. The longer they sit, the more tart it becomes.

5. I then loosen the lid and place in the fridge to cool.

I have done this with whole milk and 1%. Whole milk has produced a slightly creamier yogurt with less liquid (whey) that separates from the yogurt, but I have only been using 1% milk lately. I'll have more whey, some of it I pour out, some of it I stir back in. Either way, this yogurt is tastier than commercial yogurt and we have been eating much more yogurt at home. I'll make 1/2 gallon every week or week and half.

How do you hold 110? I am thinking a 60watt bulb on a temperature controller in the oven. But maybe that's overkill?

I use a smaller ice chest and put an electric candle warmer inside. Keeps it at the right temp.

Latest posts

Back