Need keg - what to do with carbing beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crypt0

Reaction score
I kegged a batch of beer about 3 days ago, and now I need both my corny kegs to fill up with a batch for a party purchased at a local u-brew place (was supposed to serve my beer - but its taking much longer to ferement and clear then I had hoped).

So the question is, since the beer is still carbing (about half way there), Should I bottle off straight, or maybe bottle off with some priming sugar? Can I rack it back to a bucket for the weekend?

I've been scouring kijiji the last 48 hours trying to find one. Sadly they're pretty rare in canada.

I've been scouring kijiji the last 48 hours trying to find one. Sadly they're pretty rare in canada.

just be patient and they'll come around. If you're not patient, you'll pay about 60-70 each at brew stores. Keep an eye on craigslist too. But with both those sites, you gotta be QUICK.... :mug:

If it's not carbed up much yet, you could gently rack it into a sanitized carboy and use an airlock so it can release the co2 (so it doesn't blow up the glass if it is carbed up a bit). I wouldn't transfer to a bucket- that's a lot of headspace and I'd worry about oxidizing the beer at this point.

If it's not carbed up at all, you could rack into a bottling bucket with priming sugar and bottle it.

I think I bailed myself out here. I emailed a guy who was selling cornies like 6 months ago and he still happened to have one more to sell :) Disaster averted.

I think I bailed myself out here. I emailed a guy who was selling cornies like 6 months ago and he still happened to have one more to sell :) Disaster averted.

MUCH better solution!

It's always a good idea to buy more gear to resolve an issue. I'm told at some point you get too much. Not really sure where that point is though :drunk:

Maybe SWMBO will point it out to me someday? :cross:

Back