Cider Experiment From Powders.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peakr8

Reaction score
Hey guys.

Just knocked up my first test batch of cider.

I am a newbie at this and have been looking for some time at trying to make cider from apple juice powder.

I have sourced a very reasonably priced apple powder, and the supplier assures me that all it contains is powdered apple with 10% fine sugar.

The recommendation was to add 4 to 5 times water to powder weight. So I mixed 200g of powder with 800 ml of water and tasted it, boy was it strong. So I continued to add water till I had my desired flavour strength. It ended up as a ratio of 1 to 7... Happy me, because the more water I added, the costs of brewing dropped.

Anyway, I made 3 test litres in 2 x 1.5L plastic water bottles. Added the sugar (70g in each bottle and about 8th of a teaspoon of standard baker's yeast in each bottle.

I left the caps loose and pulled balloons over the tops.

After 18 hours the balloons are showing definite signs of slight inflation.

Seeing as this is my first experiment, can I assume that this is looking to be a success?

Cider here is very expensive (Thailand). I have paid a whopping $8 for a 440ml can. That equates to $18 a Litre. My total costs thus far is $0.70 a litre.

There is a seriously huge gap in the market here for a powder kit for people to make their own cider by just adding water and shaking. Then set and forget.

I don't even have a hydrometer yet, but one is on its way.

I would love to hear any tips or advice.... anyone already tried from powder?.. am I using the right amounts of sugar/yeast?

Thanks in advance.

As an American, I now want to try this powdered cider. It sounds like a great product!

I will keep you all up to date from start to finish.

My ultimate wish is to produce an all in one product that is totally powdered and it a packaging similar to boxed wine, where you just add the water, shake and forget for 2 weeks. There is a huge market out here for something like that.

Only thing is.... It is illegal to home brew alcohol in Thailand. Yet this law is hardly ever enforced and you can go onto plenty of markets and find it being openly sold in front of the police.

Secondly, selling the kit is not actually brewing so is technically not breaking the law.However, before I started anything like that, I will seek the advice of a lawyer, who will tell me who I need to bribe.... :fro:

Back