Bottling bucket spigot hole

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

piperkeith

Reaction score
Hi - I just ordered a 6 gallon bucket from an emergency-be-prepared-type store ($7.95 w/lid) to use as a bottling bucket. How high from the bottom should I drill the hole for a spigot?

Thanks!

I just measured the bottling bucket that I have and the very bottom of the hole is one inch from the bottom of the bucket, measured on the outside.

Just make sure the hole is high enough so the end of your spigot doesn't touch before the bucket, when you place the bucket down on a table or floor.

In other words, the hole must be at least the height of the spigot from the bottom of the bucket.

Do you have to "worry" about the plastic being impregnated with antibiotic compounds? Some plastic trashcans, for example, have this stuff....could be a bad combo with something like yeast and your health....

It may be just me, but I'd make it as low as possible. Normally there is no trub in the bottling bucket, and you want to get it all out of there. My spigots normally swivel, so they will move out of the way if you set it on a flat surface. Mine is normally hanging over the counter and I bottle on the dishwasher door opened up.

So, I'm no pro, but my vote is for as low as possible.

piperkeith said:
Hi - I just ordered a 6 gallon bucket from an emergency-be-prepared-type store ($7.95 w/lid) to use as a bottling bucket. How high from the bottom should I drill the hole for a spigot?

Thanks!

Kieth, as low as you can get away with. Just make sure you can get the nut on the backside of the spigot.

steve

Back