Hullo from Providence, RI

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirkchivers

Reaction score
Hi all. I've been lurking for a few days, took me a while to spot this specific forum.

I'm mainly here to improve my brewing, hopefully without being enticed by all of the amazing equipment and testing devices that i didn't even know about until now. I'm very interested in cask conditioning and traditional british beer styles, as well as brewing science and the cultural history of beer and brewing. The intention therein is preparing myself for an academic career in nutritional anthropology, but i'm probably two years away from graduate school at this point.

I'd be into brewing with folks in Providence, especially if there is interest or access to cask equipment, but i'm not interested in expanding my operations at this point. Though the presence of only one commercial craft brewer in Rhode Island, and a sub par one at that, is a fact that needs to be changed...

Welcome dirk. Maybe you already visit the place but I'm going to put a plug in for Blackstone Valley Brewing Supply in Woonsocket. The owner and a number of the customers are also fans of the traditional UK styles. It's a good spot both for ingredients and information. Good luck with your brewing and school too. :mug:

http://blackstonevalleybrewing.com/

Welcome Dirk. I second the plug for Blackstone Valley Brewing Supplies. I have learned a great deal of knowledge from them and I have only been brewing for a year. I help out in the shop on Saturday's.

Well, I was in the class of 1983. Back then it was still Johnson & Wales College. Good to see a fellow J&W brewer on here. :mug:

You should be seeing some more! JWU now has a club called J-Brew which is all about learning how to brew. I know they've gone on tours of the Newport Storm brewery and actually had Sam of DFH come speak to the students in Oct. 2009. They just recently built a new facility that houses some commercial grade brewing equipment if I'm not mistaken.

Back