Leaky keg problem!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EamusCatuli

Reaction score
Hey I just kegged my hefe the other day and I found out this morning that the keg is not keeping pressure. I use the force carb method where I roll the keg on my knees for about 100 seconds then let it sit. This is why Im not sure if I can transfer the beer since there is SOME carbonation in the beer.

Can I transfer the beer to another keg without ruining it?

Sure you can! Either siphon it to the new keg, or get "fancy" and use a piece of beerline with disconnects and go from the "out" side of the leaky keg into the "out" side of the new keg. You'd need a black disconnect on each end. If you go from out to out, they'd be no splashing- it would go in through the long dip tube into the new keg. Then, push it with co2.

Me, I'd probably just siphon it.

I'm curious where it's leaking, if there is some carbonation. Must be a small leak?

You could find the leak before transfer. That will save you having to sanitize and transfer. Spray starsan or some other leak detector on your keg fittings, main seal poppet, and QD clamps. Vent the keg and replace the or fix the bad seal. If you do transfer to another keg don't forget to purge the air from it with CO2. I use the fancy way that Yooper describes simply because with that setup I can transfer and transport beer to a party without worrying about stirring up sediment.

Back