Why does some hoppy beer taste like cinnamon?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dogphish

Reaction score
Dogfish Head 120 minute, Avery's Maharaja, and Oskar Blues' Dale's Pale Ale + G'knight are a few examples I can think of.

I haven't tried any of these but some hops have spice-like qualities and I imagine that's what you are tasting (in combination with a stronger malt presence).

I've never picked up any cinnamon flavor in those beers- or at least the first three. I'm a fan of Maharaja and Dale's Pale Ale for sure, and I like the DFH.

Well my friend thinks that hoppy American beers taste like mouth wash and grass, so it may be something unique to your taste buds?

Well my friend thinks that hoppy American beers taste like mouth wash and grass, so it may be something unique to your taste buds?

Your friend might be more disgusted by the bitterness of hoppy beer if he has more taste buds then the average person and thinks it tastes "gross"

Everyones taste buds are different. Thats why some people taste cat piss or onions in some super hopped beers (like gubna and summit hops).
Once you nail down the common flavor amongst those beers, you will know to expect it on future beers.

I would think that is the character of the hops in those beers. Flavor perceptions are very subjective and reflect your personal life experiences. I don't get cinnamon from those beers but I do like their spicy qualities.

Back