Tips for large starter (4L) no stir plate...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apoxbrew

Reaction score
I'm going to be making a 4L starter of Wyeast 1056. 2 packs for the 4L. A couple questions:

1) I don't have a stir plate... I'll be able to shake up every couple hours when home, but I have to work and sleep... so there's like 16 hours there where it's on its own. Any suggestions (that don't involve a stir plate) to optimize cell growth given the afore mentioned schedule?

2) Also, how much DME should one use for said 4L?

3) Finally, any suggestions on a vessel? Obviously my 1gal growler isn't going to cut it. Need something in the 1.5 to 2gal range I suppose.

Thanks folks!

1) I don't have stir plate and haven't had an issue with cell growth. I haven't needed a starter that large yet but I have made 3 liter starters and had fermentation take off within 6 hours.
2) Essentially you need 100 grams per liter of starter
3) I use the bucket that AHS ships the liquid extract in. I do AG now but saved the buckets for future use and they work very well for me.

Here is an article along with the Mr. Malty Calculator attached to the article.

http://www.mrmalty.com/pitching.php

5L flask with Fermcap? The 5L flasks are pretty expensive though.

And the 1 gallon clear glass jugs won't cut it...even though they are ultra-cheap (like $4 or $5).

I guess you could also make two 2L starters?

This is exactly what I did for a lager I just made. I needed a 4L starter but didn't have anything big enough. I had two 1 gallon growlers so I just used one vial in each. I figured it's easier that way, rather than stepping up to one 4L starter...I don't think it's advisable to go straight to a 4L starter anyways.

Latest posts

Back