Better-Bottle for long term mead aging?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liquisky

Reaction score
I was thinking about going to plastic for my carboy's. I only have one glass 6.5 gal that I'm using for primary fermentation of a basic mead now. I'd like to age it for several months and am concerned about the headspace in there for long term bulk aging (I have about a gallon of headspace in there).

My question is, can I use the Better-bottle for aging for 6 months or should I stick with glass?

Has anyone ever used one, what was your experience?

im using all glass right now, but I've read alot about how people swear by their better bottles. whats usually the issue of debate is oxidation. 6 months seems like a long time for the plastic though, you might wanna make the glass carboy your secondary and use the better bottle as a primary, since it wont spend any where near as long in there.

I have heard that Better Bottles, with their PET+? plastic transfers no O2. But I believe advertisers less than lawyers so if anyone has used a BB for six to two years I would really love to hear about it. (Has BB even been around for two years, My sense of time is pretty bad).

if anyone has used a BB for six to two years I would really love to hear about it.

My Thoughts exactly.
I know glass is good to go. When you've bulk aged $100 worth of mead in a better bottle for 2 years, and it's still fine, I might get one. I'd be all about them for use as fermentors though....except I can get like 3 ale Pails for the cost of 1 better bottle.

Back