yeast replacement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdgapc

Reaction score
i pitched yeat in wort that was too hot...turned out my themometer was not calibrated and off by about 20 degrees, so what i though was 80 degrees was really 100 maybe 110 degrees. Its been over 24 hours and no signs of activity, i am pretty sure i killed the yeast at this temp. my only option is using Safbrew 06, will this be ok to use on a belgian white, if not let me know of any dry yeast alternatives, the original yeast was WLP 400, thanks!

If you can't get more of the Wit yeast, then WB-06 should work. I'm using it right now for the first time. Under 66F if you want clove, over 66 if you want bubblegum and banana.

Yep, probably torched the yeast if over 100F. 80 isn't cool enough either BTW. You will get some nasty fusels at those temps. I think its always best to cool below your fermentation temps, then let it rise, and sometimes have it finish higher. For example in my WB-06, I pitched at 60, held at 62 for a day, and let it rise to 65 for bulk fermentation. I will probably raise it to 67 or 68 during the last day of active fermentaion. Just my two pennies there.

thanks, looks like the W06 is the way to go, i used it before and it turned out ok in a hefewiezen, so im sure a beligan wit will work out weel, thanks!

100-110 is not hot enough to kill the yeast, maybe shocked a bit but not dead. If you took the hot yeast and pitched it into colder wort then they were shocked and will take a bit to get going again. Fermentation can take up to 72 hours to begin so IMO you should be patient and give it a chance to get going again. Re-pitching at this point would be a waste

so maybe giving it another day might do the trick, well if that save time and money i can try that

so maybe giving it another day might do the trick, well if that save time and money i can try that

Like i said, up to 72 hours so if you are at 24 hours then give it another 48 and it should take off for you nicely:)

In the future, keep in mind that it is much more preferable to pitch the yeast slightly colder than desired fermentation temperature than to pitch hot and then cool down!

yea it was a beginner's mistake, excitement took over and i should have known about that themometer being off, thanks again

+1 to duboman's posts.
give it some time. Yeast is pretty resilient. There are probably some shock ezcrsion related flavors in the beer, but not much to do but wait.

well waiting was the right thing to do, i got home after work and it was producing a bubble every 12-15 seconds, there was about 1/4 inch on krausen on top (not sure but i hope it rises alot more as i heard this strain will do). after all that and i did my due diligence and went and got a packet of dry yeast on my lunch break. thanks guys, i'll keep you posted.

Back