Free-growing hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Talloak

Reaction score
A brewery near me has Cascade hops growing up a brick wall. They don't actually use the hops anymore due to regulations or something, but pointed them out as Cascade hops last time I toured the brewery. They are basically draped over the public sidewalk for anyone to enjoy.

Could I use rhizomes from this plant? Last time I was there the hops on the plant looked great.

Certainly, just wait until early spring to dig them up. If the plants have been there a long time, you might even be able to find a small root ball.

yup, cut them in about 2 months and get them in the ground as soon as you can to get a head start

The plant is enormous. It has been there a very long time. The brewery has been around since the 1850's. They used to use the hops off the plant, but when that specific beer became more popular, the supply of hops proved insufficient and they looked elsewhere for their supply. As I said, I don't believe they could use the hops now if they wanted because of regulations. It's just hanging out on a brick wall draped over a sidewalk. And now it's mine.

Edit: there are three plants and they can be seen from space

I think you can see almost anything the size of a dog or larger from space nowadays on google earth pictures.
With all the satellite technological upgrades, saying something is visiable from space, just doesnt have the dramatic effect it used to. :)

I think you can see almost anything the size of a dog or larger from space nowadays on google earth pictures.
With all the satellite technological upgrades, saying something is visiable from space, just doesnt have the dramatic effect it used to. :)

I don't think that Google Earth pictures are from space.....

*ahem*

Google earth photos, at least in some municipalities, are orthophotos taken by airplane or helecopter.

In rural areas, some of the photos are undoubtedly satellite pictures (therefore the lower resolution).

Give us the address to the plants. I wanna see if I can see them from google earth, just for shats and goggles! :)

Latest posts

Back